• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

I am looking to build a computer to replace my current one meant for gaming and video encoding. I would like to keep the price around $1,000 for hardware (not counting the case).

I have looked at sites like Tom's hardware but most of the time they end up putting together a pc with as high end GPU as possible and end up using cheap DVD drives and HDs. Since I need a BD drive and would like an SSD I came up with the following:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cCJLdC

The cooler was choosen because of its low profile and where this PC is going to be placed with be space constrained.

I picked 16 GB DDR3-2400 mainly for help in encoding speeds. I keep hearing 8 GB is good enough for games. I also wanted to future proof because I usually only build a new computer every 5 years or so.

If anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them. I plan to use a1080 HD display. The two places I see that I could save money to get a better GPU is to just go with 8 GB of slower RAM or just scrap the i5-k and z97 and go with non-overclocking, but that just isn't as much fun. Though my overclock will prolly be limited with my cooler.

Anyone think I should make those to cuts to get a better GPU given the dual role of this PC?

What software are you using for video encoding?

I'm assuming you're building in an ITX case since you picked an ITX motherboard?

Yes, I picked Mini-itx on purpose. It will be in a custom case.

I have been using megui x264.

Yes, I picked Mini-itx on purpose. It will be in a custom case.

I have been using megui x264.

Just wanted to make sure you would have clearance for the GPU :thup:

Look at a GTX 770 (roughly equivalent to a 280X in gaming performance) as it has built in H.264 encoding capability.
Also, MeGUI can utilize CUDA.

Back