• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Migrating Windows 8.1 from one SSD to a new SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seth.meyers

Registered
I've been doing a bit of research, and I'd like to slightly upgrade my current system by purchasing a new case, CPU cooler, and SSD (as well as possibly a new CPU.)

I have heard warnings from people regarding cloning Windows onto an SSD (it won't be set up properly for an SSD, etc) but all of those warnings appear to be in the case of cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD, not from an old SSD onto a new SSD (which is what I'll be doing.)

My question: Is it safe to clone windows from my current SSD onto a new one? (Samsung 840 Pro 256gb)

Would I run into any issues?

I want to avoid purchasing a new copy of windows, as well as completely reinstalling, because I have a lot of programs and frankly reinstalling Windows from scratch is a pain in the butt.

firstly you wont have to buy a new copy if you reinstall windows. Secondly i always recommend a fresh install. Thirdly I cant see any issues doing ssd to ssd clone. as most likely you have it setup properly to start with, since you havent mentioned any issues. Fourthly why not just add the new ssd as a secondary drive instead of moving it all to the new one?? Its easy to redirect programs to the new ssd when installing them.

firstly you wont have to buy a new copy if you reinstall windows. Secondly i always recommend a fresh install. Thirdly I cant see any issues doing ssd to ssd clone. as most likely you have it setup properly to start with, since you havent mentioned any issues. Fourthly why not just add the new ssd as a secondary drive instead of moving it all to the new one?? Its easy to redirect programs to the new ssd when installing them.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I have Windows set up properly on my current SSD, as I have had no issues at all since initially installing it over a year ago. I'd rather install windows on the new SSD and use it as a boot drive for a few reasons:

-It's a lot newer than my current SSD. I bought my current one in 2012, and even then it wasn't brand new.

-It's way faster than my current SSD.

-It's a bigger capacity (256gb vs 128gb).

I plan on getting the new SSD, using it as a boot drive, and then using my old SSD as a storage drive in addition to the 1tb HDD in my system.

yup I assumed since you hadnt mentioned any issues it was most likely setup properly. I'd give the clone a go if it was me. Since its ssd to ssd make sure you use a cloning software that allows you to adjust the partition size. since your going from 128 to 256. Alot of the free ones just allow same size partitioning. Also unless its your budgets constraints why not get something bigger if your after space??

yup I assumed since you hadnt mentioned any issues it was most likely setup properly. I'd give the clone a go if it was me. Since its ssd to ssd make sure you use a cloning software that allows you to adjust the partition size. since your going from 128 to 256. Alot of the free ones just allow same size partitioning. Also unless its your budgets constraints why not get something bigger if your after space??

256gb is pretty much big enough for a boot drive in my situation, and I also will have my 1tb HDD and 128gb SSD for storage of music, photos, movies, music production files, etc.

I could technically get something bigger, but I earn minimum wage so I've got to scrape funds together as it is :)

Just clone the new SSD from the old one. If needed you can go into administrative tools/disk management and extend the partition to include the entire 256 GB of space.

Clone it.

Easiest and best way to do it, and just make sure to extend the OS partition to full capacity if there is more than 1 partition on the drive.

Back