• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a Q9550 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stefanos1987

Hi guys!
this is my first post here so...
Here are the facts:
My newest PC died on me (thunderstorm screwed up the powerlines and my PC :( ) so i had to revive my old PC with some of the parts from my new one...

This is a Frankenstein meets butcher shop build :))

It consists of:

my old CPU - Intel C2Q 9550 (stock speed - aftermarket cooling)

"new" MOBO Gigabyte GA-P41T-D3P v1.5

from the other PC i've just stuck this parts together

- RAM 8GB (2x Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9)
- GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X OC WindForce 3X 4GB DDR5 256-bit [GV-R927XOC-4GD-GA]

Currently my RAM is at 1066 MHZ (default from BIOS)

I've tried to put the RAM at their 1600 speed but the PC doesen't boot up.
Last time when i'ved OC something was 7 years ago... so i need help.

I want to OC this to do a proper job for gaming and my editing stuff, until i raise some funds to replace this configuration.

Thank you! :D

With that motherboard, you can overclock ram till 1333 and that too in oc(auto synchronize) mode. If you want 1600 clocks, you'll have to get another motherboard and may be another processor too.

With the FSB at 400MHz, change the MCH Frequency Latch to the 333 B latch, and the System Memory Multiplier to 4.0 (400MHz x 4.0 = DDR3-1600). For a default clock of ~2.83GHz, lower the CPU Clock Ratio to x7 (400MHz x 7 = 2.80GHz). Adjust the CAS Latency, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS to 9-9-9-24 respectively (all the sub-timings left on Auto), and the DRAM voltage to 1.55-1.65v. Also leave Performance Enhance set to Standard.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your responses!

i will try these settings as soon as i'm leaving the office for the day and i'm going to come back with the results.

Have a great day!

Hey... i've tried both ways (OC CPU+RAM and just RAM + decreasing the multiplier on CPU) but my PC doesen't boot afterwards...
:(

I hope there is another way...

With the two modules installed in either the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th DIMM slots, unplug the PSU and reset CMOS, then power back on and enter the BIOS to make the changes I noted above.

Back