• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help with my machine tripping.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBlock

Registered
I'm having trouble. My machine has begun to trip out, shutting down completely while folding. It will then start itself back up. When it trips off all of the lights and fans stop completely for about 3 to 4 seconds. Then it all comes back on again.

At first I thought this was the power supply failing so I got a new, upgraded one. This made no difference.

Here are the specs:

Intel I7 3770
Gigabyte GA-Z77m-D3H motherboard
32 gigs of Crucial ram
2 1080ti EVGA video cards. One is an SC2 the other is a Black
1 Crucial SSD
1 ASUS DVD
1000 Watt EVGA power supply

I have tried every combination I can think of. The only thing this told me is that it only trips out when it is folding. This tripping is random. It has folded for 5 hours with no problem or as short as 1.5 minutes. Temp is not a problem. It has tripped with a GPU temp of 50c. Back in August these cards ran at 78c to 82c with no problem. I do not fold with the CPU.

The Windows event viewer simply shows that the machine had an abnormal shutdown. We have reinstalled the motherboard and video card drivers. I disassembled the machine and swapped the video cards in their slots. No good.

I'm all out of ideas.

Please help.

BigBlockk

Later.....

In any case try rolling back to an older one you might have in your download folder. It sounds like a driver issue.

Have you tried just one GPU?

Uninstalled fah?

Try this, pause 1 card and let the other fold and see if it still restarts. Or you can put only 1 card in and see how that goes.
It seems to me something is aging and it looks like caps ether on the MB or the 1080 cards, look to see if any caps are bulging, ether on top or at the bottom of the caps.

I just had 2 cpu fans stop spinning on 1 of my folding PC's, it would fold for a while then reboot to BIOS. Replaced the fans and all good now. So check fans as well.

We reinstalled video drivers and F@H. I have tried to fold on one card at a time. I have swapped the cards in their slots. I have installed only one card. Nothing changes. Last night it folded for about 5 hours with no problem. When I woke up this morning I tried to start the second card and it lasted for a minute and twenty four seconds before the machine tripped.

As an update, I was just playing Fallout Tactics (a really old game) WITHOUT the folder running and the machine tripped out. First time it's done that.

Tomorrow I am going to pull both cards and go back to one of my old 1060's to see if it is the motherboard.

Thanks for the help.

BigBlockk

Later.....

Make sure your machine isn't auto-restarting because of a BSOD. Unchecking the option will let it hang at the screen so you can read the details.

I tried the "automatic restart" thing but it didn't work.

I put my old 1060's back in and the machine lasted four minutes. I have ordered a new motherboard. We'll see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

BigBlockk

Later.....

I tried the "automatic restart" thing but it didn't work.

I put my old 1060's back in and the machine lasted four minutes. I have ordered a new motherboard. We'll see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

BigBlockk

Later.....

Thanks for the update, let us know how you make out...:salute:

i'm going to take a different approach here. Run memtest86+ and see if you have a memory issue. My thoughts for this are the random nature in which you have the issue and the low temps observed. Of course, I also agree with the idea that you might have a video card failing.

i'm going to take a different approach here. Run memtest86+ and see if you have a memory issue. My thoughts for this are the random nature in which you have the issue and the low temps observed. Of course, I also agree with the idea that you might have a video card failing.

I 2nd that, I don't know why I did not see it before, but the failures do look like what I had on 1 of my Intel systems, replaced ram and all good after.

When you run memtest let it go for at least 24 hours, some memory errors are not caught by memtest right away.

I would bet it was a memory problem, I have had several sticks fail folding.

Ran the memory test, no errors.

I put my new, used motherboard in and it has been running for three days with no problems. There is something wrong with that old, used motherboard.

The machine is running very well now.

I want to thank everyone that tried to help. Thank you very much.

BigBlockk

Later.....

Back