• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official AMD 8xxx Series Rumor Mill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Let's start off the rumor thread with a nice link...post up what you got!!!

Rumors on release date:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20121203PD207.html?mod=2

AMD reportedly plans to release its Radon HD 8000 series GPUs in the second quarter of 2013 as the company is currently going through a business reorganization to aid its poor performance in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Rumors on specs:

http://uk.hardware.info/news/31864/possible-specs-amd-radeon-hd-8000-surface

The HD 8000 series will get physically larger, according to the site. For example, the Tahiti GPU in the HD 7900 series has 4.31 billion transistors and 2,048 stream processors, and this will reportedly increase for the HD 8900 series by almost 20 percent to 5.1 billion transistors and 2,560 stream processors. The HD 8950 will have 212 fewer stream processors than the HD 8970. On both the HD 8970 and the HD 8950 the number of ROPs will increase by 50 percent to 48.

The GPU speed of both cards will increas to 1050 MHz, while the memory speeds will be 6000 MHz and 5500 MHz. This has an influence on the TDP, which will be 260 watts and 210 watts, respectively. The 3 GB of video memory will be controlled by a 384-bit memory bus. The HD 8990 will basically be a double HD 8970 with slightly lower clock speeds with twice the amount of video memory.

The low- and mid-range cards in the HD 8000 series will be interesting. All will feature 2 GB GDDR5 memory. The two HD 8800 GPUs will reportedly have 1,792 stream processors and 3.4 billion transistors. The memory bus is the same as the high-end cards, but the clock speeds will be higher. If the architecture becomes more efficient, then that is beneficial for performance and lowering the energy consumption.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136636-amd-hd-8000-specs-leak-point-to-major-performance-boost

8800specsrumor.png

Last edited:
I have been looking around for info on the 8000 series.... nada.

By this time last year we had tons of rumors and speculation on the 7000 series.

There, changed the thread title so it will hold all the 8 series rumors people come up with.

8xxx will be the fail nvidia is going to rub their faces in the dirt i have never and will never buy an amd card ever :rolleyes: :rofl:

jk jk jk

i hope they have a pretty good jump in performance, i skipped the 7 series though i was tossing around the idea of a 7990

oh yea and some info

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/amd_readies_new_flagship_radeon_hd_8000_series_graphics_card

A leaked slide tipping AMD's next generation "Tenerife" GPU found its way to the Web (funny how that always happens), and it's a beast. As part of AMD's Sea Island based HD 8000 Series, the Tenerife part is a power user card that will dethrone the HD 7970. We'll go ahead and call it HD 8970, with the understanding that this isn't the official name (yet).

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136636-amd-hd-8000-specs-leak-point-to-major-performance-boost

With leaks like this, there’s always the question of whether or not the data is valid. We’ve gone through and crunched some numbers, and figured out a few metrics that the original table doesn’t show. Here’s the original first, without any additional data.

Skiping AMDs probably biggest upgrade in history? 7000 is a pretty good hardware and its such a huge performance gain compared to 6000 series, about 50% higher. Nvidia unfortunately was not able to achieve the same gain compared to theyr 500 series, so this time AMD was the winner.

Anyway, its clear that the 8000 is another era and im already gonna ask what Nvidia is doing. They better gonna be fast because so far the 600 series is not a valid alternate option as long as even the 7000 series is a serious match to them.

Skiping AMDs probably biggest upgrade in history? 7000 is a pretty good hardware and its such a huge performance gain compared to 6000 series, about 50% higher. Nvidia unfortunately was not able to achieve the same gain compared to theyr 500 series, so this time AMD was the winner..

I thought the 680 was 60 or 70% above the 580. Still, AMD ftw until I buy another Nvidia card :D.

I dont know where you heard that stuff. Currently it seems like GTX 680 is 30+% above GTX 580 and 7970 is 55+% above 6970 (35+% above GTX 580 using 12.11) . There is other advantages a GTX 680 got such as the lower TDP, so the performance isnt everything. However, for Nvidia fans speaking about efficiency is like a punch into theyr face because they usualy never cared about efficiency in the past. Anyway, the hardliners such as one of my local shops are still using Nvidia cards everywhere (on theyr prebuild PCs) so it doesnt make them change theyr mind at all. I guess they will never use AMD cards, no matter how much of advancement they did.

Last edited:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_680/27.html

But this thread is about the 8 series cards.

Rumors on Specs:

http://uk.hardware.info/news/31864/possible-specs-amd-radeon-hd-8000-surface

The HD 8000 series will get physically larger, according to the site. For example, the Tahiti GPU in the HD 7900 series has 4.31 billion transistors and 2,048 stream processors, and this will reportedly increase for the HD 8900 series by almost 20 percent to 5.1 billion transistors and 2,560 stream processors. The HD 8950 will have 212 fewer stream processors than the HD 8970. On both the HD 8970 and the HD 8950 the number of ROPs will increase by 50 percent to 48.

The GPU speed of both cards will increas to 1050 MHz, while the memory speeds will be 6000 MHz and 5500 MHz. This has an influence on the TDP, which will be 260 watts and 210 watts, respectively. The 3 GB of video memory will be controlled by a 384-bit memory bus. The HD 8990 will basically be a double HD 8970 with slightly lower clock speeds with twice the amount of video memory.

The low- and mid-range cards in the HD 8000 series will be interesting. All will feature 2 GB GDDR5 memory. The two HD 8800 GPUs will reportedly have 1,792 stream processors and 3.4 billion transistors. The memory bus is the same as the high-end cards, but the clock speeds will be higher. If the architecture becomes more efficient, then that is beneficial for performance and lowering the energy consumption.

Last edited:
I only had 6950 crossfire for about a year, I should try and keep 7950 CF for a bit longer this time and get 9000s / gtx800s

That's if the usual suspects don't start a nuclear WW3 by then.

i think im going to stick with my 6950 CF also. i cant afford a new GPU right now i hoping, maybe i can get a 9970

yea im hoping i can afford one when the time comes by then the mancave should be paid off so im thinking so :)

Again ATI will trump nVidia with its HD 8970. nVidia's always playing catchup and, I guess, always will.:drool:

I find comments like this amusing. No one is ever really playing catch up in the GPU market (unlike CPU). The nvidia 5xx series trumped the 6xxx series, AMD was first to market with 28nm gpu's but they got beat by the 6xx from nvidia. The 8xxx series will beat the 6xx, but will almost certainly fall behind the next 7xx? from nvidia. They alternate release dates and take the performance crown with their perspective top cards.

It does seem like I should sell my 680 soon before the 8xxx gets released and the market floods with cards from people upgrading.

yea i wish i sold my 6950 when i had the chance. lol

I find comments like this amusing. No one is ever really playing catch up in the GPU market (unlike CPU). The nvidia 5xx series trumped the 6xxx series, AMD was first to market with 28nm gpu's but they got beat by the 6xx from nvidia. The 8xxx series will beat the 6xx, but will almost certainly fall behind the next 7xx? from nvidia. They alternate release dates and take the performance crown with their perspective top cards.

It does seem like I should sell my 680 soon before the 8xxx gets released and the market floods with cards from people upgrading.
+1

Id rather have this game of one-upsmanship than to have each company trying to get to the market first and putting out non significant 'upgrades'. Its the name of the game here and who is first doesnt really matter to me as a more refined product instead of a half assed one just to beat their competitor to the market, should come out as we have seen. I can see this hurting 'fanboys' though. Those that cant bring themselves (for whatever silly/good reason) to not be open enough to use either brand will sit waiting for your company to bring new things out. Doesnt pay to be closed minded IMO. :thup:

Last edited:
+1

Id rather have this game of one-upsmanship than to have each company trying to get to the market first and putting out similar 'upgrades'. Its the name of the game here and who is first doesnt really matter to me as a more refined product instead of a half assed one just to beat their competitor to the market. I can see this hurting 'fanboys' though that cant bring themselves ,for whatever silly/good reason, to not be open enough to use either brand, as you are waiting and waiting for your company to bring new things out. Doesnt pay to be closed minded IMO. :thup:

+2

I think though that the 7970s vs the 680s has been the closest battle in a long time between the 2 makers. Wasn't there a comparison in here between the 2 for example with CODBLOPS 2 and the 7970 beat the 680? I realize its just one comparison, but the same test between lets say the 6970 and the 580 would show a completely different result..

Either way competition is always a good thing. I am looking forward to seeing what both camps come out with next.

Not to get to far off topic, but the last couple AMD drivers have made it too close to call really. 680 wins half and the 7970 wins the other half. It comes down the what one wins in the games you play. They are both great cards and are dirt cheap for their top of the line single gpu cards.

What i want to say: Better a stronger and more large single core than 2 cores. So AMD is kinda heading the way i enjoy. Because dual cores always got some efficiency problems, its simply harder for the software to use several cores instead of a single one.

So, its better to use a huge single core in countless versions, and with several different sizes regarding heatsink and general size of the card.

To much speculations inside regarding the power of the next AMD and Nvidia cards.

The 5000 series didnt "trump" the 6000 series, the 6000 series was a totaly different approach, it was here to raise efficieny, not performance. However, i do agree that the upgrade was way to minor and for enthusiasts not necessarely attractive at all. They enjoy to see performance gains, not efficiency only.

Nvidia however, made some performance gain regarding theyr 500 series, so they surely was ahead of AMD at that time (and as a result had much better sells). Still, for users who only cared about efficiency and price/performance ratio, the 6950 and the 6870 was a very good alternate option.

+1

Id rather have this game of one-upsmanship than to have each company trying to get to the market first and putting out non significant 'upgrades'. Its the name of the game here and who is first doesnt really matter to me as a more refined product instead of a half assed one just to beat their competitor to the market, should come out as we have seen. I can see this hurting 'fanboys' though. Those that cant bring themselves (for whatever silly/good reason) to not be open enough to use either brand will sit waiting for your company to bring new things out. Doesnt pay to be closed minded IMO. :thup:

The hardware was never "half assed", but when it comes to drivers Radeon cards are known to be problematic. But nothing new to us, thats a very old issue.

This time AMD was releasing a GPU which is 55+% stronger than theyr previous generation, thats nothing half assed. Intel didnt perform such huge steps for a very long time now.

Besides i dont feel hurt, i just care the raw truth, nothing else. I did chose my Radeon card because of efficiency (means good performance with low noise), package (special coolers or what else), and price/performance ratio, not because of fanboy/girl-ism. In term Nvidia would have the better card in the next generation its totaly possible that i get a Nvidia card, but they simply will have to beat AMD at the values important to me, its as easy as that. This generation, Nvidia only tried to please the enthusiast users at the first half year. At the time when they finally released the more interesting cards, it was already to late in order to please many of those users. So this generation, Nvidia screwed up a lot.

Im not a enthusiast user, im a gourmet with common sense (i dont get overpowered stuff without sense) i get the stuff i need for my target:
1. To reduce noise as much as possible
2. To have enough of power for 1080P and smooth gameplay
3. To have a good price/performance ratio
4. To get the highest quality possible so i will have lesser risk of dealing with problems.

Last edited:
What i want to say: Better a stronger and more large single core than 2 cores. So AMD is kinda heading the way i enjoy. Because dual cores always got some efficiency problems, its simply harder for the software to use several cores instead of a single one.

So, its better to use a huge single core in countless versions, and with several different sizes regarding heatsink and general size of the card.

To much speculations inside regarding the power of the next AMD and Nvidia cards.

The hardware was never "half assed", but when it comes to drivers Radeon cards are known to be problematic. But nothing new to us, thats a very old issue.

This time AMD was releasing as GPU which is 55+% stronger than theyr previous generation, thats nothing half assed. Intel didnt perform such huge steps for a very long time now.
As far as dual GPU card vs 2 physical performance wise, you are a bit off, Ivy. For all intents and purposes, it is the same.

I have had issues with both sides of the fence at one time or another. I dont think anyone can say with any certainty one side is better than the other as a blanket statement. Perhaps I have been lucky but every single card I reviewed at this place, I dont recall ONE issue with an AMD driver, nor Nvidia actually. However personal use back in the day was another story. Of course I can read and see people's issues on forums and they are real, but one can say there are issues on both sides of the fence I think is a fair bit more accurate than hanging AMD for having poor drivers. Stuff happens sometimes and both camps are far from perfect in that regard IMO.

Also, "half assed" wasnt referring to what is released, it was clearly stated to what could happen if they played a stupid game of trying to get a card out before the other a lot more aggressively.

Last edited:
Back