• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade AMD Radeon HD 5700 series with current mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BbqLou

I posted something similar in the AMD Motherboard section:

I am currently on a motherboard, MSI 880GMA-E45

with

AMD Athlon II X4 635, 2900mHz 4core
and
AMD Radeon HD 5700 series video card
12gb ram

I'm trying to play the new Diablo Resurrected and the minimum reqs are:

Nvidia GTX 660 or
AMD Radeon HD 7850

Looking to eBay a cheap used video card that my motherboard will support and allow me to run the game.

Those cards should work fine. Just make sure the bios is the updated to the latest version. That said it's the minimum requirement too so the experience may not be great.

But that's an ollllld system. That cpu will hold any 1080p gaming back...... if it worked. That cpu is OLDER than the minimum requirement of the game, boss.

Save your money for a mkre significant SYSTEM upgrade is my take.

Those cards should work fine. Just make sure the bios is the updated to the latest version. That said it's the minimum requirement too so the experience may not be great.

But that's an ollllld system. That cpu will hold any 1080p gaming back...... if it worked. That cpu is OLDER than the minimum requirement of the game, boss.

Save your money for a mkre significant SYSTEM upgrade is my take.
Good to go. I will look to obtain a complete new system.

This looks alright? (minus case and some other things)

or can I eBay a better used cpu/video card that fits with the mb?

Last edited:
Let's start with a budget... how much do you have to spend and on what components?

As far as dropping in a cpu, there's nothing fast enough that works with that motherboard...it's too old. Full upgrade, bud.

Last edited:
Let's say $2,000

Should I have someone do this for me?

Have things changed since 2011?-Haha

Previously, I purchased all the components and plug and played. Upgraded an SSD and some RAM as time went on.

I prefer function over form. I don't like the flashy colorful casings. I want good cool airflow. Optimal performance but I don't want the latest and greatest IF it's only going to increase some benchmark by 1-2%.

Would there be some recommendations on something to start with? I'm thinking i-core-7 cpu, a top GPU, 32gb of ram, and a compatible motherboard. Is that awful?

Do you live near a Microcenter. They generally have the best price on CPU/motherboard combos but are sold in-store only.

BTW, my gaming PC is in a 17 year old Best Buy brand Rocketfish case. If your current case has good airflow, it might be worth saving $100+ by reusing it.

You're on the right track. For $2000, you can get a nice system for sure.

I like the Intel side of things and the i7 option. A 12700k, 2x16gb ddr5 6000 cl40 (less!l) a pcie m.2 drive, z690 mobo that 2070 Ti and you're on your way. :)

EDIT: Details... I like GSkill and ADATA RAM, but surely Corsair, etc, will be plenty fine

I like the Gigabyte Z690 motherboards for bang for the buck... but just get a board with BIOS Flashback ability as they should be on their latest BIOS to function their best (especially with memory support).

Also a fan of the EVGA power supplies, the G series, P, and T series (Gold, Platinum, Titanium efficiency levels). The latter two are top notch units, but their gold is plenty good enough. 750W is plenty. If you plan on flagship-class graphics and overclocking, look at 850W which will handle any single CPU and GPU system even overclocked.

Last edited:
Back