• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bulldozer FX-8120 Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
as5 is a very well trusted product....
i have also used more than 10years, never failed me yet...have gotten excellent results
granted i have other tim,s also and use others depending on the application...

Wow these puppies do run warm. Currently running Blend @4GHZ 1.3v CPU 47*C with an Antec 920 cooler. Well will see what it is like in a few hours when I get up in 4 hours temps have been steady now for the last 30 min.

why not try the ultra chill tec cpu cooler upgrade the peltier to a 90w and disconect from temp sensor and connect to the psu via molex.ur temp shud be down with ur artic thermal paste on that 8120 amd.no need to worry abt condensation beacause of the heat of that bad boy cpu. upgrade cost less dan 100 bucks

^^^
A sub-par performer from ~4 years ago that could barely handle a contemporary CPU's heatload? ..Yeah I'm sure it won't be wholly inadequate on a Bulldozer chip.

(note: I was referring to the chilltec, not the 920)

Last edited:
Actually the Antec 920 is holding its own pretty good on this 8120. Overnight temps never climbed above 47*C nthough that is pretty warm for 1.3v compared to my 1090T. Not worried to much about that as I do have a swiftech system waiting in the wings for this chip I am just waiting for the case to come back from painting to assemble the complete project. SHe has had a famaliy crissis and has not been able to get at it yet.

SInce all looks well after 6+ hours on Blend gave it a bump of 2 on the multi to 4289ghz and after starting prime again a couple workers cut out almost right away ...... small bump in CPU v to 1.325v seems to have that undercontrole. These chips don't need allot of volage to get stable. We'll see how things look before I leave for work if not then I will let it go for the day with the sensor recorder on. Surprising that the motherboard temps have not budged more than 2*C for the 25*C Idle temps.

Run some benchmarks when you get back from work :D
I'd be interested to see the results from a superpi mod 1MB run.

spm.gif

Took a bit but am stable at 4289GHZ ...... time to step it a bit

@tangletail
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=85&name=Thermal-Compound-Grease&Page=1
AS5 is actually not that expensive and cheaper than many non-silver compounds ...
I don't want to argue but after reading your posts I can only say that you never used AS5. AS5 is not pure silver and is not acting like one. You can read some here http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/thermcom/AS5_MSDS_3.pdf

o_O forgive me for a minute but I am trying to rack my brain over this as much as possible. But are you refering to Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Tri-linear Ceramic.

AS5 shows as $13-$25
And ASTC appears as $6. Are you saying that there are more expensive termal lube then AS5?

Well, if I do deside to fork over a finger for Thermal Grease, then I think I will try the Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond first. Surely smearing diamond shards on a GPU will be smart XD. Then again, they do get fairly small so it may fill the pores on the spreader.

o_O forgive me for a minute but I am trying to rack my brain over this as much as possible. But are you refering to Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Tri-linear Ceramic.

AS5 shows as $13-$25
And ASTC appears as $6. Are you saying that there are more expensive termal lube then AS5?

Well, if I do deside to fork over a finger for Thermal Grease, then I think I will try the Antec Formula 7 Nano-Diamond first. Surely smearing diamond shards on a GPU will be smart XD. Then again, they do get fairly small so it may fill the pores on the spreader.

something fishy is going on at newegg with that, I've never seen AS5 at that price, the MX4 which is a better TIM is the same price, and yes, there are more expensive thermal pastes than those.

What have you guys found is the max safe temp with this CPU? Is it still about 60 degrees like for Deneb?

I've just moved over from intel and all I've been told so far is do not exceed 1.55 vcore.
Cheers.

What have you guys found is the max safe temp with this CPU? Is it still about 60 degrees like for Deneb?

I've just moved over from intel and all I've been told so far is do not exceed 1.55 vcore.
Cheers.

I have not heard anything definative for max temp yet and have been sticking to the old guidlines so far. Mind you even at 4600mhz I have not gotten above 52*C (Antec 920) yet and you will find the FX-8120 does not need allot of volts to OC currently sitting at 1.425v.

Hi guys... I just seriously thinking of buying the FX-8120. I currently own a Corsair H50 cooler. Should this cooler be suffecient. I would love to overclock this CPU as high is it can go without using water. I've never installed a water cooler system and I am also somewhat broke. :( Any good air coolers for this CPU? unless someone has a good water cooling solution for me that is affordable. cheers :)

Hi guys... I just seriously thinking of buying the FX-8120. I currently own a Corsair H50 cooler. Should this cooler be suffecient. I would love to overclock this CPU as high is it can go without using water. I've never installed a water cooler system and I am also somewhat broke. :( Any good air coolers for this CPU? unless someone has a good water cooling solution for me that is affordable. cheers :)

The Corsair H50 is a closed-loop based water cooling solution, so you are using watercooling already :) I am presuming you meant some sort of higher end configuration.

It should be fine for the 8120, depending on your expectations OC wise. I would recommend applying a push/pull configuration on the radiator if you plan to go as high as you can with your OC plans.

The Corsair H50 is a closed-loop based water cooling solution, so you are using watercooling already :) I am presuming you meant some sort of higher end configuration.

It should be fine for the 8120, depending on your expectations OC wise. I would recommend applying a push/pull configuration on the radiator if you plan to go as high as you can with your OC plans.

Very true I guess I am using a water cooling system, but really all these close-loop water solutions are no better then a good quality air cooler, the beauty of them though is they are more quiet. :)

I would love to do a push/pull config but my CM 690 II advance does not have much space to do it. Currently my radiator is on top of my case with just the one fan. Maybe I can tweak my fans and make it work better.

Back