• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stumped, pleeeeeease help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowmo

I am building a system now that keeps randomly shutting down. I got windows 2000 to load by the hardest, but now it will shut down after about 5 to 10 minutes of uptime. I noticed that the Vcore volatge was running at about 1.725, and have tried upping it .025 to get it to the default 1.75. This hasn't really helped. The system is an Athlon 1900, Shuttle AK31 V3.2. (I know the motherboard is fine b/c I just pulled it out of a solid system) 256 DDR PC 2100, 60 gig Maxtor 5400, DVD and CDR, Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Soundblaster 16, which won't work in 2000, I just found out.

System recap
AMD 1900 AGOGA
Shutlle AK31A
Maxtor 5400 RPM 60 Gig
GeForce 4 Ti4200
DVD
RWCD
300 Watt Enhance Powersupply
175 Watts at 3.3 and 5 volts continuous
280 Watts at 3.3, 5 and 12 volts continuous

I had the same problem with a Shuttle AK35GTR. I tried everything in the world to fix the problem. I finally fixed the problem by buying a ECS mobo and plan on displaying the Shuttle mobo on my wall.

I would play it safe and double check your temps. Also do you do anything specific to cause this, or if you leave it alone does it still shutoff?? Does it always shut off at the same time?? (i.e. @ 10 minutes everytime it turns off.)

Check the power supply. Maybe it's heating up and starting to go bad and kicking out.

Defo sounds like a heat problem to me s'ah

check ur CPU, system temps, does running with the side panel off make it stable longer from a cold boot?

Try blowing a household fan at ur system with the side off, that should eliminate any heat problems...

If it does make it more stable, or temps are high, try re-seating your heatsink, might just have a bad seat?

An alternate theory: Is your problem intermittent? I had a system that would, on occasion, lockup. It was a pain to troubleshoot because the problem surfaced without any pattern. Long story short, it turned out to be the HDD. If you have spare parts, maybe try swapping them one at a time to try to narrow the problem to specific hardware. Perhaps also try installing a different OS. Maybe 2000 is the culprit. If you know for sure, you could still put 2000 on and just tweak it as necessary.

Malt_Vinegar said:
Defo sounds like a heat problem to me s'ah

check ur CPU, system temps, does running with the side panel off make it stable longer from a cold boot?

Try blowing a household fan at ur system with the side off, that should eliminate any heat problems...

If it does make it more stable, or temps are high, try re-seating your heatsink, might just have a bad seat?

exactly what I was thinking while I read your post.

also....there's a feature (and for the life of me I don't know where it is) that says reboot on errors.....if your system is just shutting down....this won't help much.......if it's rebooting, I know it's somewhere around the properties of my computer.

Shadow ÒÓ said:

exactly what I was thinking while I read your post.

also....there's a feature (and for the life of me I don't know where it is) that says reboot on errors.....if your system is just shutting down....this won't help much.......if it's rebooting, I know it's somewhere around the properties of my computer.

For XP goto Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Start Up and Recovery > Settings > Uncheck > Automatically Restart

This should allow you to see what the error message is. Not sure if this helps but I tried :D It should not be a whole lot different in 2000 then XP as memory recalls.

Maestro

Back