• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RealTek PCIe GBE Controller problems after OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A8HTPC

Hello,

I am completely new to OC'ing. I just built my new system which is by far the fastest I have ever had before. Its a dedicated Home Theater PC which I will do some gaming on.

Here are my current specs;
AMD A8 3870K
ASUS F1A75-V EVO
2x4gb Corsair DDR3 1866mhz chip
Silverstone Tek NTO1-Pro heat sink with 2 80mm fans

My problem is my RealTek LAN controller (builtin) seems to shutoff every 5-6 seconds for about 2-3 seconds then turn on and repeat after overclocking.

ASUS has an automatic overclock feature so I tried that and it OCed to 3488Mhz from 3000. I don't know exactly how it went about this but it apears to have upped the APU Frequency to 109 and multiplier up to 32.

When I manually OCed, I strictly used the APU frequency, kept the voltage setting on auto and got it up to 117 x30 which was 3510Mhz. Everything seemed to be ok though my realtek would shutoff and turn back on...even after I load the defaults the realtek controller still acts up untill I uninstall and reinstall the drivers for it. Then it seems to be ok.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers while the PC was OCed and it would work for a bit and start acting up again

I don't seem to get very far OCing when strictly using the multiplier. Temps are below 55 under load most of the time when OCed. Under load is encoding DVDs and Blurays.

Now is increasing the APU frequency causing the issue?

You said "now" but I think you meant "how is increasing the APU frequency causing an issue with the Nic"? I imagine that increasing APU freq is also raising the PCIe frequency and the Nic is not liking it. Such would be my first thought without having the motherboard. You are not the first that when overclocking the APU has caused other issues. The bad part is that many of those type threads that are g00gled up >> never have a [solved] post into the thread issue.

RGone...

Hopefully someone knows a bit more. There is an option about the PCI overclocking, maybe this can help not OC the pci. or I should just not use the APU freq adjustment. Maybe there is a PCI realtek NIC that doesn't mind oc apu freqs. I guess Ill play around a bit more and learn more bout OC'ing. Maybe I can put a "SOLVED" tag next to this thread.

Actually, would USB be affected by raising the APU Freq? Maybe I can just use a USB Adaptor

WORK AROUND - KINDA

Seems raising the APU Frequency did in fact anger the realtek nic. I started OC'ing with just the multiplier and voltage and the NIC has been functioning fine.

yep aything after 120 bus speed on my apu i lose vga graphics even 121, though dvi still works lol they are weird chips.

You said you can OC the PCI can you underclock it I'm speaking on speculation not experience. They always used to be locked which messed things up when you raised the fsb. I would look into that just try and keep it around 100. I think it's worth exploring.:confused:

Back