• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a motherboard and processor tomorrow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I got rid of my monster rig because i was homeless for a while..

Im now doing better and need a new motherboard and processor for my GTX 460 that i came across. Id like to grab a sli board so i can grab another 460 if that would be my best cheapest bet. Im looking to spend no more than 140$ and am going to get it tomorrow from Micro center.

What do you think my best bet would be? Im okay with overclocking AMD.

www.microcenter.com The detroit madison heights would be my selection. I currently have a phenom 560 and the motherboard is half dead.

The only board that I see Microcenter in Detroit/Madison Heights has in stock and that I would use is the Asus Sabertooth 990FX Rev2.0, but it is more than $140.00. The 9 series of AMD chipset does SLi and the 990FX will do so with dual x16 on two of the PCIe slots.
RGone...

It would help if we Knew any upgrade plans?. If you were thinking of the FX8350 Rgone is right hands down!
But if you did upgrade to a FX 4 or 6 series the ASUS M5A99FX Pro or the Asrock990FX Ext4 would suffice. Either would definately handle your PhenomXII 560 easily! Both also support the SLI/Xfire @ x16 for both cards. And they're around $140
I have the Pro board and it's a good board, it did run the 8350 but 4.5 was it's limit only a 6+2+2 power section.
We've just seen the first Ext4 board in the forum but haven't seen any real results yet so I'm just recommending it since it has a 8+2 power section.
But in reality if you want a good solid board save up the extra 40$ for the Sabretooth! That's what I'm using now and would recommend it to anyone!

I so agree Ajay57.
an upper line board is the best investment, the motherboard is the backbone of the system.
the m5a97 i use and suggest is on budget and a good board to overclock with and for everyday use and works very well as long as I don't chuck an fx in it and fits well in my little midtower case.

the one issue I have with it as others also is the lack of support under the ram area and the 24 pin connector, people have broken it in these areas so if you tinker with it very often there is the risk of damaging the board.

the one issue I have with it as others also is the lack of support under the ram area and the 24 pin connector, people have broken it in these areas so if you tinker with it very often there is the risk of damaging the board.

What is it not long enough for the nest row of stand offs?

that's the issue. I think it was MR. Trents that i remember breaking his.
someone else might chime in on this if they remember.
I know i have to be very careful with mine.

That's weird and it's advertised as an ATX. The only way I could tell was checking the pics and yeah no holes down that side.
Trents was having some issues I remember with ASUS. Don't know if it was the same board but he had a Ram slot burn out on him. Asus said a broken trace so no Warranty

Back