• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking a laptop - help needed :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sdyankov90

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm in sort of a dilemma. I'll be buying a laptop soon and im trying to choose from the sli 755m y510p and the single gtx850 asus g550jk. The laptop will be used for gaming/working. Gaming lol/wow/diablo and most of the newer titles.
Any help/advices will be highly appreciated.

<3

Couple questions for you.

Have you gone hands on with any system you are considering?

How much weight are you willing to lug around?

How much of a furnace are you willing to tolerate on your lap?

Have you looked at the ROG 750? http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/

I am somewhat debating that as my next laptop. I own 2 different desktop replacement/workstation laptops (HP DV7 and a Dell Precision) and actually prefer them over the tiny ultralight super portable systems. Both of them practically MANDATE a cooling pad unless I want first degree burns. Both of mine were the lower end models that I upgraded as possible, max RAM, Second HDD, CPU upgrade, etc.

@atmin thx.
@Dragon
As far as weight is concered i think that those 2 (the lenovo 2.7 and asus 2.4 kg) are quite about perfect for me.
As for the rog 750 i've considered it but it's abit out of budget for me and also 17.3 is quite big and heavy.
I suppose that both of them wont be that hot to mandate a cooling pad. the sli one comes with separate cooling for the 2nd gpu etc. dunno

All reviews (atleast the ones i found) comparing the sli 755 vs gtx 850 are highly favoring the sli version. Since both laptops are with 5400 rpm hdds, but the lenovo has 8GB SSHD (which i honestly dont know how is operating), which i think gives it some edge?
So far the y510p looks like the better performing laptop, but the asus has a unique design :<

Back