• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA, DVI, HDMI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FloppyHunter

Registered
Hey,

I have a 8800gt and a 22" monitor, currently connected up via DVI, and I am not looking to change this as it is perfectly fine.

However, I have recently purcahsed a Samsung 32" HD TV, although it is on the other side of the room to my PC. I am looking to hook my pc upto it.

I tried a VGA 5m cable, however when I bought it and tested it, it had shadows. So I took it back and got another as I thought it was a fault, the same happened agian. I then bought one online to try, 25m, the same problem accured, shadow/ghosting on the display.

My Samsung has 3 HDMI ports and a PC input (VGA), I have read that it is the long distance VGA that causes the shadow as the pc graphics card does not push enough impulse through it (or something more complicated)...

Should I, get a 5m DVI cable and stick a DVI-VGA adapter on the end? Should I get a DVI to HDMI cable, then also buy the right sound cables too? Or is there something I can do with this VGA cable?

Best Regards!!
Hunter

Ok thanks.

I have just tried the 25m cable from 2 different laptops and it works without ghosting :S. I have tried moving it to the area of my pc to see if it picks up any interferance but it doesn't. So I tried a different VGA/DVI adapater into my pc, but that didn't make a difference.

If a laptop can work, in the same region as my pc too, I don't see why my pc can't?

Last thing, DVI-DVI 5m cable with DVI-VGA adapater on the end to go into my TV, or DVI to HDMI 5m?

Cheers for the help.

now that is interesting... did you change the refresh rates maybe that were going out from the pc?

doesnt matter HDMI = DVI+Audio

I tried it on 2 laptops and my desktop all in (to test)

1024*768 at 60/70/72 and 75 hertz. Both laptops worked fine, but the computer still produced ghost/shadows. I tried both laptops sat on my pc to see if their was interferance around the area, but both laptops still worked fine.

Would it matter that it is an SVGA cable, but to plug it into my desktop (8800gt) I have to use a VGA - DVI adapater? I have tried a different adapter to test that, but that changed nothing. I'm wondering if their is an SVGA - DVI adapter?

Thanks again, hunter.

I'm running VGA on dual displays. 2 25' long VGA cables hooked up to a computer in the next room. Keep in mind, they are very fat cables, I found them on newegg. The picture is beautiful.

Just bought and tried a DVI-A to VGA adapter rather than DVI-I or DVI-D to vga, but this made no difference again.

Just going to buy a DVI - HDMI

That cable should do just fine. I've used one on an 8800GT and a 3850. That's strange about the VGA not working out, though. VGA looked just as good as HDMI on my Samsung HDTV. But mine was only a few feet.

Back