• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Monitor - New Video Card- what cable to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My 27" Dell Ultrasharp in my sig file is in perfect working shape. I really don't want to buy a new monitor yet or at all for a while. As a 2K monitor I like it, I've never gamed beyond 2K, so I'm not "missing" anything in my opinion.

The monitor has HDMI 1.3, DVI and Display Port (I cannot tell what version- I couldn't find it on the net)

My GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti Eagle OC 8Gig card has only 2 types of ports, HDMI 2.1, and DP 1.4a

What cable should I get to connect these two units?

Clearly my DVI cable is of no use.

thanks in advance!!

What's the monitor refresh rate? If it's 60-120Hz I'm pretty sure either cable will be fine. If it is 144-165Hz I think you have to use DP to get the refresh that high.

What's the monitor refresh rate? If it's 60-120Hz I'm pretty sure either cable will be fine. If it is 144-165Hz I think you have to use DP to get the refresh that high.

It's currently sets at 60 Hz. I found one site that lists the max refresh at 76 Hz.

This site seems to confirm that as well.

Why not? :p

It doesn't matter for you because it's a 'standard' monitor...not high res, high refresh, etc. and any will do.

That said, id use DisplayPort too, for no reason except that it clicks in, lol.

Why not? :p

It doesn't matter for you because it's a 'standard' monitor...not high res, high refresh, etc. and any will do.

That said, id use DisplayPort too, for no reason except that it clicks in, lol.
DP it is then.

Yeah I’m still considering getting a UW monitor not for gaming, but for digital photography. I tend to need 2 screens. I hate bezels.

This Dell has lasted forever- not a single dead pixel, survived several cross country moves too

I just don’t want large fonts/large icons due to a larger monitor but resolution is too low. Need the type of resolution, or effect of my resolution I have now.

A lot of 2k monitors now- and so cheap too! With my Sandybridge they weren’t so cheap!

2k, you mean 2560x1440? (technically, 2k is 2048x1080)

If you don't want large fonts/icons, lower the size in windows. ;)

2k, you mean 2560x1440? (technically, 2k is 2048x1080)

If you don't want large fonts/icons, lower the size in windows. ;)

Sorry yes my Dell monitor is 2560x1440.

I like having a lot of resolution. I was on a Win10 machine and couldn’t change font size to what I wanted. I’ll have to look into that, thanks. Maybe the monitor at work, and the home office monitor have different native resolutions.

Back