• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor shows screen for 1 second then goes black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cor3000000323

Registered
Hey,

At a random point last night, my screen went black and didn't turn back on. The PC was still working, but the monitor just switched off the image (the monitor still had power). If I turn the monitor off then back on, it shows the image for 1 second and goes to black again. Every single time.

Actually, the issue started earlier. In the last few months, when my monitor was asleep and I sat back at the PC, it showed the image for 1 second then went black. I then had to switch off the monitor, wait for a few seconds, switch it on, and then it worked. It did that almost every time so I deactivated sleep mode for the monitor so it always stayed awake, knowing the issue would probably come back later (I know, stupid fix, I had a lot to do back then and didn't want to take the time to fix it at this time). That was about 1-2 months ago.

Here's what I tried:
  • Restarted PC. Didn't work.
  • Reseated both ends of the cable (DVI cable). Didn't work.
  • Tried a VGA cable with a DVI adapter because graphics card doesn't have VGA plug. Didn't work.
  • Plugged in another monitor into my PC with the same cable. It worked.
So I assume my cable and graphics card aren't the issue. I've now let my monitor rest (without power plugged in) overnight and still the same problem. I've also plugged my monitor into another computer, and it's the same issue.

So, is it simply its time, it died? Is there something we can do? After all, the monitor is from 2009, so I was expecting this to happen at some point. By the way, the monitor is the Acer X233H bd 58.4 cm (23") 1920 x 1080 pixels Full HD Black.

Thank you!

The capacitors have probably failed. You could try shining a flashlight on the monitor when it should be on and see if there is an image. If there is, the backlight/power delivery portion is failing.

If you know how to solder, this is likely an easy and cheap fix.

100% a bad display, most likely the backlight circuit (not the backlight itself). I get dispatch tickets for this at work, all the time, where the site reports "Monitor is on black screen". I can usually avoid an hour or more of driving by calling the site and asking if anything displays, even for a second.

Granted we usually dispose of these displays that fail, but they do only cost us $10-20 to replace. If it is the Acer in your signature, it looks like it's time for an upgrade!

The capacitors have probably failed. You could try shining a flashlight on the monitor when it should be on and see if there is an image. If there is, the backlight/power delivery portion is failing.

If you know how to solder, this is likely an easy and cheap fix.
I shone a light on it and sure enough, I could see the image. Thank you!
100% a bad display, most likely the backlight circuit (not the backlight itself). I get dispatch tickets for this at work, all the time, where the site reports "Monitor is on black screen". I can usually avoid an hour or more of driving by calling the site and asking if anything displays, even for a second.

Granted we usually dispose of these displays that fail, but they do only cost us $10-20 to replace. If it is the Acer in your signature, it looks like it's time for an upgrade!
Thanks for making this clear. If I understand correctly you're talking about the same thing as Automata. If I can go to my local shop and get it fixed for 20 bucks I'd probably do it, even to keep just as a spare display. I don't think I'd pay anything above that though, because it is from 2009.

I actually went ahead and bought a new one yesterday! I'm happy about the upgrade anyway, I always thought I'd get a bigger screen once the time came. Thanks for all your help again.
Here's what I got: MSI OPTIX G273QPF
1024.png

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. A shop is likely to charge quite a bit more than $20. If you don't know how to solder or don't want to be bothered to fix it, I'd mark it as dead and move on.

My TCL TV 65" after 3 years to the week decided to do the Black Screen of Death.

I took a flashlight and held it up to the screen when the TV was on and could see images of the Smart TV stuff. So that apparently is all the evidence you need for a backlight that is no longer working.

I looked at the price of my TV today and it is probably the same cost as to fix a backlight.

Which means I might as well get a new TV. However I am going to get a different model so it seems 3-year lifespan is what I am looking at with these budget big screens.

My TCL TV 65" after 3 years to the week decided to do the Black Screen of Death.

I took a flashlight and held it up to the screen when the TV was on and could see images of the Smart TV stuff. So that apparently is all the evidence you need for a backlight that is no longer working.

I looked at the price of my TV today and it is probably the same cost as to fix a backlight.

Which means I might as well get a new TV. However I am going to get a different model so it seems 3-year lifespan is what I am looking at with these budget big screens.
3 years sounds about right. I had a bestbuy brand, Insignia, before my LG, and it only lasted 2 years before the bqcklight and its inverter board went out. I replaced the backlight array on my LG this summer, because LEDs were going out, but it lasted seven years before needing any repair.

3 years sounds about right. I had a bestbuy brand, Insignia, before my LG, and it only lasted 2 years before the bqcklight and its inverter board went out. I replaced the backlight array on my LG this summer, because LEDs were going out, but it lasted seven years before needing any repair.
I am thinking about LG QNED. LG OLED seems better but costs a 1/3rd more.

This is sad. We have a freezer from 1967 at work and it still runs (granted it's probably not very efficient), and even old CRTs would typically last 20 years. It's one thing to replace something to get new features or functionality, but it's so frustrating that literally everything is created to be disposable.

Back