• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who's getting Super Paper Mario tomorrow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Springbok

I got talked into pre-ordering it by the local gamestop jockey, who else is picking it up? I'm really interested how they're going to integrate 2D and 3D, makes me think of Viewtiful Joe for some reason. :p

I'm seriously considering trying to set aside some fundage to purchase it. I've read absolutely nothing but positive reviews on it. Like, there's not a bad review to be had.

I've already got it: It's called "New Super Mario Bros." on the DS. :p (j/k)

Seriously though... Don't EVER let your local Gamestop guy talk you into preordering ANYTHING. Unless it's a new system...

Just got done playing it. I played for about 2 hours or so according to my Wii. It's really good! The controls are tight, the music is cool, and it's graphically sound. It does what it does very well.

Be warned though: It's wordy. Really wordy. Like, really really wordy. You think Final Fantasy games are wordy? Ha! They're NOTHING compared to this! So so wordy . . . It fills in a lot of story, so I can't fault it for that.

There's also a bit of funny in it, too. During the first boss battle, the boss is a robotic dragon that goes haywire. While it's going haywire, not only does it say quite a few funny things, but it's eye, for a moment, changes to the Wii Shop Channel 'please wait' circle thing, and the Wii Shop 'please wait' music plays while it happens. It was kinda clever, I thought.

And Peach can float, just like in Super Mario Bros. 2 :)

It's a fun game. I played it for about a half hour. So far you use the wiimote sideways like an NES controller. If you want to find out info on anything on the screen you point the wiimote at the object on the screen. It's pretty cool I think.

yeah I heard you have to read a lot...I think it got some negative points in reviews because it has so much text, but would you guys say this is purchase worthy?...Is it worth $50?

FudgeNuggets said:
Screw the BLAH BLAH BLAH, ONI, What we REALLY want to know is: HOW IS THE WII-MOTE Controll-Interface???? :drool:

The Wiimote is held on it's side, like the classic Nintendo controller. There is actually very little motion control available. You can shake the Wiimote after you stomp on an enemy to do a pose, and you can point it at the screen to get data about various things, or to uncover things that will help you (like doors, blocks, and steps). It's not really meant to be motion-heavy.

Worth $50? I'd say it is. It's all kinds of fun.

Oni said:
The Wiimote is held on it's side, like the classic Nintendo controller. There is actually very little motion control available. You can shake the Wiimote after you stomp on an enemy to do a pose, and you can point it at the screen to get data about various things, or to uncover things that will help you (like doors, blocks, and steps). It's not really meant to be motion-heavy.

Worth $50? I'd say it is. It's all kinds of fun.

It was originally intended for the Cube, maybe that is why there isn't a lot of motion sensor stuff:shrug:

Graphics are nice and crisp on component and the gameplay is fun, it's the first Mario game that I've played that tries to have a story. However, you can't skip the text and it takes forever to get to actual gameplay!

I stopped playing because I'm stuck in a town because I can't get a guy in green to lower the bridge for me...can anyone help me out?

Springbok said:
Graphics are nice and crisp on component and the gameplay is fun, it's the first Mario game that I've played that tries to have a story. However, you can't skip the text and it takes forever to get to actual gameplay!

I stopped playing because I'm stuck in a town because I can't get a guy in green to lower the bridge for me...can anyone help me out?

the house that is next to the mayors house. Walk into it. it should be empty, except for a fence looking thingy next to the door. Flip to 3D. there's a pipe behind it. Go down that pipe, and get the....thing you need. then go back, and talk to the mayor.

Hope that helps, without revealing any info.

Springbok said:
Graphics are nice and crisp on component and the gameplay is fun, it's the first Mario game that I've played that tries to have a story.

well, obviously you havn't played Super Mario RPG, Legen of the Seven Stars for the SNES. its STILL my FAVORITE mario game EVER, and in my person top 10 list of best games ever created!

playing paper mario, REALLY makes me want to go back and play Legend of the Seven Stars.

Well, you guys have got me wanting it to the point that I can't wait to even finish Shivering Isles. Time to go to the game store:D

spm-hammer.jpg

Sometimes, I shouldn't be allowed near my Wii.

zexmarquies01 said:
well, obviously you havn't played Super Mario RPG, Legen of the Seven Stars for the SNES. its STILL my FAVORITE mario game EVER, and in my person top 10 list of best games ever created!

playing paper mario, REALLY makes me want to go back and play Legend of the Seven Stars.
One of my friends had that, it looked pretty good but I never got into it.

We picked it up yesterday. I haven't gotten to play it yet because my wife has been hogging the controller :) It looks sweet and I like the game from what I have seen. I thought maybe the dimension thing would be a gimmick but it turned out really cool. Two thumbs up!

I picked this up and have just gotten past the first big boss, the dragon. He was pretty funny. This has been a fun game so far a good purchase...it has minimal motion control but thats fine, I think games need to only use it where it makes sense, Zelda also did that very well. I like how the flashlight info thingy works, how you don't have to push a button just point it and it changes modes. Presentation is great, I'm always curious to see how they're going to present an effect. It does seem like I'm blowing through the game fast, hopefully it's not short, and it might be just because levels arn't terribly long so maybe there's a lot of them. Also I feel this need to dimension flip every minute just to make sure I'm not missing any coins, but the controls are about as solid as can be, I know I know it's mostly 2D...but man when you play a side scroller you forget how most games were solid growing up control wise....and it's when 3D hit the scene that you had to worry about bad cameras and the such. I'm really enjoying this title so far, I love to see how the graphics have been redone on something as seemingly inconsequential as a coin block.

Back