• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Problem Installing Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EGAJohn

Registered
I just bought a new ASUS laptop for work and I need to install XP on it for my medical software. I went in the bios and changed the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE and when I go to select a boot device the disk drive is no longer in the menu. Any ideas?

Not sure what the problem is, however, sata based drives do show up in the bios in ide mode. ;)

If you change it to IDE, go into the BIOS to make sure it is still an allowable boot item. For example, my Lenovo allows me to add/remove "allowable" boot items. Changing it to IDE presents it as a new device, and it may default to disabled. That is, you may have to tell the BIOS it is OK to boot that item.

Where would I do that in an ASUS bios? It gives an option to add and name a boot device then I have to search for it.

Make sure you have "Legacy" boot enabled. It's called something like that, I don't thinmk XP will like UEFI ;)

When I go to add a new boot device the bios freezes when I go select a file path for boot device. I have the most recent bios version.

In the bios i get the option to change SATA controller mode from AHCI or IDE. When i change it to AHCI the dvd drive shows up and im able to LAUNCH the installation disk. After launch i get the blue error screen when attempting to load xp files. (This is also with Windows Vista, 7, & 8) Now when I set the controller to IDE no drives show up at all; the boot device list becomes empty. I either need to get Windows XP to install on AHCI mode or get the dvd drive to appear when set to IDE mode. This laptop is brand new and I wiped the hdd when i got it so there is currently no OS installed, now this laptop is pretty much useless and i need to get it working soon.

Last edited:
In the bios i get the option to change SATA controller mode from AHCI or IDE. When i change it to AHCI the dvd drive shows up and im able to LAUNCH the installation disk. After launch i get the blue error screen when attempting to load xp files. (This is also with Windows Vista, 7, & 8) Now when I set the controller to IDE no drives show up at all; the boot device list becomes empty. I either need to get Windows XP to install on AHCI mode or get the dvd drive to appear when set to IDE mode. This laptop is brand new and I wiped the hdd when i got it so there is currently no OS installed, now this laptop is pretty much useless and i need to get it working soon.

This happened to me when I was installing Win 7 on a laptop that came with Win 8.

I had to enable Legacy mode in the BIOS AND make sure that UEFI was enabled still as well. Basically, UEFI + the old "Legacy" BIOS boot were both enabled. That secure boot crap was disabled as well..

Look around the BIOS of that stuff. Also, did you "Press F6 to install 3rd party drivers" when you were installing XP?

I actually discovered the F6 option last night and now im creating a bootable usb with the drivers and xp so im going to try it out.

Great... so there's pretty much no way around this is there?

You could make a slipstream install that includes your AHCI drivers for XP that was the only way I found around it unless you have a usb floppy drive that XP will recognize.

Back