• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Adjusting the fan speed up manually didn't impact my 3DMark score much. The difference from the fan at the default auto control of 47% to my forced 60% was 5 points. It stayed much cooler during the test, close to 15 degrees actually, but at both settings it was able to reach the 947 core clock. The score is still much lower than I anticipated at 7527. At this moment my pc is pretty scaled back compared to what it was before but I still thought I would be higher. I updated my results post with the results.

Also, ivan do you want tweaked settings or I presume all settings at defaults (other than clock speed) in the CCC?

May want to add 3DMark (2013) to the list with Firestrike as it is a bit more recent.

Just a note, it is just plain 3DMark. For reviews, we put 3DMark (Fire Strike), and it is two words (thanks Dino!), to note which we are benching. Futuremark specifically mentioned in emails that is was not 3DMark 2013. Splitting hairs surely, but I see that all over the place and it irks me, LOL!

I know that portion, just to make it clear which version we are speaking of. Good to know on Fire Strike being two different words.

Oh, I thought this was for the purposes of this thread only. Though mentioned, I didn't know boints were the main concern there. Sorry!

That is what I thought too (purpose of this thread).. makes no matter to me, or the slew of people not on the benching team about boints so.......... why make that a pre-requisite is my thinking...

Yep, I believe I mentioned (maybe in a different thread) that the AX3 (Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3) was compatible. I've also been told that they are coming out with a different model specifically for the new line and I'm hoping to get one of those in for a review sample.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold my AX3... granted it was a year and a half ago when I did.

I'd still get a 290 non x and the EK CSQ block for 100 +-...still 40-50 cheaper than a 290X.
Without a doubt the best deal of the two. With the difference in performance vs cost the 290non x (wow that's annoying to type every time!) is the only way to go unless you are trying for some benching record. My problem is the other cost I am incurring to cool this beast with water. I have to add a second duel fan radiator and that with my current 2x120 is barely going to cool my cpu and gpu properly from what I am reading. Along with that I'm having to redesign my loop and replace my reservoir because of space all resulting in about $250-300 spend which hurts. All the additional cost and noise is making me lean towards air right now. :chair:

Last edited:
Without a doubt the best deal of the two. With the difference in performance vs cost the 290non x (wow that's annoying to type every time!) is the only way to go unless you are trying for some benching record. My problem is the other cost I am incurring to cool this beast with water. I have to add a second duel fan radiator and that with my current 2x120 is barely going to cool my cpu and gpu properly from what I am reading. Along with that I'm having to redesign my loop and replace my reservoir because of space all resulting in about $250-300 spend which hurts. All the additional cost and noise is making me lean towards air right now. :chair:

Yeah, I'll go air first, then save up for the block, tubing, reservoir and fans needed.

EDIT: and even for benching the 290 puts out some impressive numbers once oced and with a no vdroop bios.

What about 290x and 290-x (as in minus-x), granted just saying 290 should already be saying a non-x version, but /shrug.

It's confusing, I have to explain it everytime....some people aren't even aware there's a slightly cut down, cheaper Hawaii card. I could say Hawaii pro based lol

Back