• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painting the inside of a case on the cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I'm tired of the ugly grey inside of my Thermaltake BWS6000
83363d1382717821-sapphire-r9-280x-toxic-vh6000bws02.gif

I read this guide:
http://www.overclock.net/t/458611/interior-case-spray-painting-guide

Which suggests I'm looking at spending a bare minimum of $60 to get this done. That was written way before the inside of computer cases came black from the factory, as it is I'd rather sell my case and put that + the $60 in painting toward a new case. Which I do not want to do.

So, can I get by on $10? I don't need this to look like a hand-rubbed Rolls Royce Phantom with zero orange peel and 1mm thick 4-stage pearl. I just want it to look decent.

What's the minimum I can spend without it looking like garbage and how much work would be involved?

Thanks in advance.

If you take the time to prepare the surface, use decent to good paint, and follow up with a clear coat, it should look good and be durable.

You should be able to do that from a spray can fairly easily.

That is what I did on my original TT Armor, yeah. I went for a matte finish and it held up the entire time I had the case. It was pretty hard to scratch, too. I'm sure with more knowledge and time, I could probably do better!

Make sure to rough up up (800 grit would be perfect) and make sure the surface is very clean.

Probably looking at 2-3 cans for a nice even coat on that case.
A roll of blue painters tape to edge and hold down some coverings.
Newspaper or something similar to cover the areas you don't want painted.
Some fine grit sandpaper or a few brillo pads to scuff up the surface and make sure everything sticks nice and smooth.

Past that, somewhere without wind/debris to spray in.

Even though the inside has a coat of paint, it's probably very thin and you will sand through it in places when prepping the surface for painting so you will need to spray on some primer before the color coats. After sanding, clean the surface with alcohol (if using isopropyl, it needs to be at least90%) or acetone and do not touch the surface to avoid transferring skin oils to it.

Back