• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK here's the challenge...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The VTech

Captain Bawls
Should you decide to take it on that is.

Turn me from AMD, if you can. Why should I buy an Intel over an AMD. What make an Intel better to you than an AMD.
High End cpu's aside from both camps, what sepecificly about an Intel, makes it better than an AMD.

I leave the rest up to you.

hi,

I guess your going to OC, right.

well then, lets see.....

intel chipsets...stability...low temps...stability...high OCs, can we say 3.0ghz?...stability...pci lock...stability...no more BSOD...stabilty...no more incompatabilitys...stability...no need to unlock cpu...stabilty...my case is so quiet now that I don't need delta fans...stabilty...no true need to water cool...stability...

I could go on and on, yet I too like AMD, so the choice is yours.

I will say that prices for lower speed chips from intel are not that bad, and with the high OCs they get, you might want to look at them.

mobo's are also about the same price...and now we use the same memory.

you now can get an intel system that OCs higher for about the same price.

Oh yeah, did I mention rock solid stability.:p

mica

james.miller said:
why do people always preach about intels stability? ive never had any problems with amd systems. 100% stable, every one of them.

so are mine, yet....

when you have to pull back your OC because your other parts can't take the FSB you are running at, you'll know what I mean.

no matter what FSB I run at, it's just........stable as a rock.

Oh yeah, good by via 4in1 drivers.

mica

The last two systems that I have bought have been P4 systems. Before that I bought 3 T-Bird systems. The competition between the Athlons/P3s and T-Bird/Willamette is really what has gotten us to where we are. And can you imagine what it would have been like if the ONLY alternative we would have been was to use the I820 or I840 chipset with P3's?!!? I do not know at this time when I am going to buy my next AMD based system, but I do hope that time will come. My hope is that you and others that like AMD will keep buying AMD and that AMD remains a viable, worthy alternative to Intel. My son and my daughter are still running T-Birds OC'd to 1.47 GHz.

I think we wouldn't be hitting 3GHz right now were it not for STOUT competion from AMD. I truely hope for the day when I think that the logical choice is to get a Hammer system instead of an Intel system! I hope that happens next year. If you like AMD, I'd say buy AMD.

(Yeah, I don't really like the 4in1 drivers either. Oh sorry: Not going to get a VIA ra ra.)

Dave

Hmmm all great points but so far not enough to turn me.

Out of the last 14 systems I have built or owned, (never owned a prebuilt AMD) all have been an AMD except one. PII 500Mhz. I have no idea what was in it. I have had zero issues with over clocking any of the boards FSB and so far only one board is giving me any problems. My second MSI K7T Turbo-R K133a chipset. It doesn't like running at 159Mhz or higher. Guess it just doesn't like thinking it's a 300+Mhz LOL.This would be the system I have as a back up/workstation now.

Keep trying if you like though, this is giving me some good info on Intel I never really cared about in the past.

Thanks for all the input as it is much appreciated as is your time to do so.

Last edited:
I've heard many good things about intel's chipsets, and the chipsets are a big part of the picture.
If you're perfectly satisfied with AMD, there's no reason for you to switch, :)

I agree however letting ones self become consumed in one thing is not always the best thing. This will at least let me know how Intel is next to AMD and you never know, I may want to switch for a machine or two just to see how it is if nothing else.

Would this be a good reason for you to come to Intel side???........

It's a Pentium4 1,8GHz C1 Stepping @ 3717MHz.....

attachment.php

Hmmm maybe, what is your system temp? How many fans? If no fans liquid cooled using what??

I'm assuming a P4 1.8 is fairly cheap? What Heatsink if using fans?

Last edited:
The VTech said:
Hmmm maybe, what is your system temp? How many fans? If no fans liquid cooled using what??

I'm assuming a P4 1.8 is faily cheap? What Heatsink if using fans?

This is on a Prometeia cooling system...!!!...;)

With a Swiftech MCX478 + Delta fan 5900rpms could reach 3600MHz and Prime 3450MHz.....;) :)

Read the wrong review my bad.

What about the over all price of a P4 1.8? Is it really that much cheaper to replace if ya smoke it?

Last edited:
Hmmm never mind. $143 at Newegg doesn't seem overly worth it but the 512 L2 cache looks nice with that 400Mhz FSB. Hmmmm

The plot thickens.

The VTech said:
Hmmm never mind. $143 at Newegg doesn't seem overly worth it but the 512 L2 cache looks nice with that 400Mhz FSB. Hmmmm

The plot thickens.

just a thought.....

with a retail 1.8a, a good HS like an AX-478 and a quiet fan like a panaflow....you should get 2.7-2.8ghz easy. (unless you get a dud) maybe you'll get lucky and hit 2.9 or 3.0ghz...this is more rare.

at this speed and a super quiet box, it could be just the thing to get you to try an other intel rig.

mica

OC it seems to have an edge but for the cost of getting a 1. to hit 3.0 it doesn't seem worth it.

The Prometeia cooling system hitting around $500-600 isn't very cost effitient either.

I have been given food for thought and will use it in my next decision when putting together my next machine.

Thanks all!

My suggestions,

Well I am not going to harp on the stability. But that is a strong argument for Intel chipsets. You wont have the problems that are inherent with via 4in1's. Compatiblity, just like MS is the king, Intel is also to a certain extent. So everyone that is making new hardware and software make sure for the most part that it will be compatible with intel/ms.

Overclocking- Most good intel motherboards allow you to lock the pci/agp. By doing this, you dont have to worry about your pci/agp running out of spec and hindering you from you OC. If you go with single channel DDR you can run it async and get more out of your DDR. Next year we will see DCDDR boards in earnest. You will see Rambus performance out of 2 sticks of DDR then. I realize that the early tests of DCDDR for AMD has been lack luster, but you have to remember, Intels were built for the higher memory bandwidth, it has the quad pipe for the memory. You will see a bigger benefit using DCDDR with Intel over AMD.

As stated above, you should easily get 2.7 out of a 1.8 with air cooling, and probally more. Running your DDR in async you will be running it at 200mhz, or DDR400. All the while your PCI/AGP are locked at stock speeds, or upped a little to what you want them at. Your temps will not be as much of a concern as what you have to deal with on an AMD rig. Also when DCDDR is out all the way, you can get a new MB and drop the chip and another stick of identical memory in it, and watch your memory bandwidth increase. I know for a fact that alot of todays games rely heavily on memory bandwidth. In the end the choice is yours, I think you would be happy with a PIV. I have an old palo 1700xp that I am waiting to find a new case and hard drive for to get it back up. But that is on the bottom of my to do list, I have bigger fish to fry!!!

Good luck on your choice what ever it may be.

Buzzdog

The simple answer to your question is go with Intel if you want the greatest overclock you can get. Other than that either CPU will do you good.

I have owned both Intel systems and AMD systems, in fact when the P4s with the Willamete cores came out I was all for AMD. This was due to the better price/performance ratio that AMD had over the Willy P4s and more importantly to me, they overclocked about the same, so I went with the higher price/performance ratio CPU. This all changed when Intel released the NW CPUs. The overclocks people were getting out of these CPUs made me drool, and AMDs did not look so attractive to me anymore.

To reitterate my point, if you are a serious overclocker, you can't get any better than the Northwood P4s. Other than that going with either P4 or XP is a matter of your personal preference.

well in my place we are 3 people each with his own pc, mine intel and theirs amd, and the first thing i notice is the sound, that damn whining sound, mine is almost silent, and is very fast, and one more thing, one´s friend mobo/cpu was fried because the socket broke and the heatsink fell of, and guess what, yes it was AMD. so for me the main con of amd is the sound and that it will die if something happens to your heatsink/fan
i forgot, now we are in summer and here is HOT, i´m happy at 38c full load 43% overclock and my two friends are back at stock speed and both past 50c, one of them actually put a big fan (not a computer fan, but one of the size of his case, i´ll post pics some day is really funny) to mantain low temps.
well not sure if that´s enouhg for you to switch, but... i´m really happy with my intel

Thanks for your posts guys.
For now I am sticking with AMD. I am in the middle of building my new machine, "Gretchen" will be her name.

When I build "Anne" I will be heavily concidering using a P4 NW, as prior to this post, I would not have.

Much thanks again.

Back