• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

use thermal pad or as2 for mom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
eh, thermal pad i still think would be better. Just make sure not to get the standard pink pads. Usually the grey or yellow pads are pretty good and uh they last about forever. You wont have to worry about paste reapplying every 5~6 months.......or have the cpu fry or such.

I would say go after a nice copper heatsing and slap on a low RPM fan... around 20-30 dba should get you 1000-2500 RPM and at stock speed on a copper heatsink you shouldn't see anything close to high temp... I'd suggest one of the many Thermalright heatsinks or the Tt Volcano 7+ (@ low setting only, otherwise it sounds like a hair dryer)

I would recommend against any fan above 30 dBA, most peole find my ~ 45 dBA too loud and when My Dragon Orb was at full throttle (7000 RPM) the certain family members [my mom] thought it was Atrocious.

eh its just a duron, not a 2ghz athlon overclocked. Just make sure to let the cpu warm up to middle 50~low 60's C when you first fire up the system. Then turn off the computer and wait for one hour and then the thermal pad works much better than most people think. Also it will stay the same for years and years, much better than as paste in the long run. Especially for that setup.

Back