• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World of Warcraft question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tenchi86 said:
Actually I just reformated myself and the toolbar setup remains the same no matter if you copy the files or not. So unless you are using a different key bindings (like 3rd party) you still will have your 6 bars of key bindings. Stuff like chat options will revert back to normal but the GUI remains the same.

Thats not true, only the first bar with keep the stock keybinding. If you set up the other bars with binding or like I do add extra binding to the main bar. you will lose the bindings. Also it's ok to save the WTF, WDB and Interface folders. After you patch the game back you move those files back and everything will be the same as before you formatted. I do this all the time abd so far have never had an issue. Reason I do this is because I use Discord Action bars and it's a PITA to redo them. Also the add on save files are placed in the WTF folder, so it needs to be saved just as the interface folder does. Thats if you wish to keep your add ons.

I honestly am not here to start an argument but as I said before reformatted my PC less then 1 week ago. I am pretty sure I would noticed if my key bindings were gone considering I have been playing it pretty much everyday since then. Also the side bars are linked to the generic bar, you just have to hit up and scroll to them, or use a a key combination to auto switch to the correct bar. I am not saying he should not copy over those files, I am simply saying that your bindings are stored online. If you wish to test this go to a friend house and log on your account.

pik4chu said:
the last big patch took only 20 minutes to download and install. thier busted, half-***ed BT hack job is slowly getting better. But its still absurd, we are practically paying blizzard and can't even download the patch straight from them.

No practically about it. You ARE paying Blizzard. You paid initially to purchase the game, and you pay a monthly fee. From my perspective, I think you should be able to download the patch independantly, instead of with their crappy take on BT.

tenchi86 said:
If you wish to test this go to a friend house and log on your account.

Not something I need to do as I just reinstalled WoW yesterday on a different computer. After I patched went in to game my key bindings were not done cept for the main bar. Also I have used a friends account before set up extra keybindings for myself and they never showed up for him.

Oni said:
From my perspective, I think you should be able to download the patch independantly, instead of with their crappy take on BT.

You can download the bigger patches from places such as fileshack, which is what I do. The small patches you can sometimes find for download again from places like Fileshack.

Wicked_Klown: I guess we are just not going to agree here because in for me my bindings were all saved, maybe you are not talking about the same key bindings who knows.

As for download yeah it would be faster if they would host them, though it would also cost them much more in terms of bandwith cost. Not to mention the servers would be down for the first 24 hours. The torrent like download manager they use now though is rather pathetic. Last time I tried to use it I was downloading between 1-15kb/s on a connection where I can usually get 160kb/s easy. Patch 1.11 you can get from any major donwload site, after that the next patch I believe is around 5 mbs and should not take to long since there should be more seeders then leachers now.

The default Blizzard key bindings stay the same but ones you custom set have never stayed for me or other members of my family when we install/reinstall wow.

Oni said:
No practically about it. You ARE paying Blizzard. You paid initially to purchase the game, and you pay a monthly fee. From my perspective, I think you should be able to download the patch independantly, instead of with their crappy take on BT.
I think I was interupted in the middle of typing that and ran two sentences(thoughts) together. What it should say is.

Blizzard, use this money we are paying you every month to make the patch avaliable to your subscribers in a way that doesn't require to use some half-a**ed hack-job of yours.

here is a good example (note, contains strong language)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/21

The best coded MMO i've ever seen so far is guild wars, their update system and overall production quality is EXTREMELY high, probably one of the best coded games i've ever seen. What game do you know that has so many interface customizations you'll still be figuring them out 5 months after starting, and to top it off streaming updates really take the pain out of patches.

RED Hot Machine: Thats probably the settings I am talking about, the side bars are all linked to those defualt bindings, they just take an extra key binding to get to them. So basically you just put the icon where you want it and then use the defualt key. Maybe I just got lucky but for me all I had to do was turn on the side bars and it instantly linked the icons correctly.

Blizzard does now use a background downloading program for this game. In concept you are supposed to download the updates without knowing as they are created, then when they are ready to be released they give you the final part of the update connecting all the other pieces. Last patch however I believe it failed pretty badly with almost everyone getting stuck at 85% (the background downloaded part) because for some reason the final part was not connecting with the first part as it was supposed to. May be wrong though that's just how I took most the complaints.

tenchi86 said:
Maybe I just got lucky but for me all I had to do was turn on the side bars and it instantly linked the icons correctly.

Naw the icons stay where you put them. Like if your a druid and place healing touch rank 7,8, and 9 over ont he side bars it will always be there. Which is how I can tell when Redhotmachine plays my toon. I use Discord Action bars, so when I log it I have the Blizzads bottom left, bottom right and the two side bars on my screen. Kinda had me confused the first time I logged in after him and seen all these bars on my screen.

Back