• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never let console players and CPU builders mix acronyms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stolid

I was just talking with a friend who is a major console player, and while I know what the acronyms I use mean in 'console speak' I forgot about that and started using some computer acronyms to him. He finally stopped and asked what the hell certain video games had to do with building a computer.
Examples: PS/2 (the mouse/keyboard port) and the PS(X)2 (the game console) - often people drop that X (why it's in parantheses)
DDR (Double-Data-Rate SDRAM) and DDR (Dance Dance Revolution)

... :p Ah well, had to go back and re-explain everything to him.

Stolid
Who just realized this post is pretty pointless but what the heck ^_^ (It's in games due to the console comparasion, BTW)

Stolid said:
I was just talking with a friend who is a major console player, and while I know what the acronyms I use mean in 'console speak' I forgot about that and started using some computer acronyms to him. He finally stopped and asked what the hell certain video games had to do with building a computer.
Examples: PS/2 (the mouse/keyboard port) and the PS(X)2 (the game console) - often people drop that X (why it's in parantheses)
DDR (Double-Data-Rate SDRAM) and DDR (Dance Dance Revolution)

... :p Ah well, had to go back and re-explain everything to him.

Stolid
Who just realized this post is pretty pointless but what the heck ^_^ (It's in games due to the console comparasion, BTW)

Hey, as long as I'm not the only one who's had to deal with this before! I love the way acronyms are mixed cross platform.

Tell your friend to wise up, and get a REAL gaming system, a computer. A console is a console is a console, and you can't ever upgrade them significantly (Bigger hard drive in XBox? Whoopty-friggin-do. Broadband modem? Oh yay, we're cookin with gas now! GeForce5? HELLZ no!)

Console blow, PC's own. Str8 up, G.

Gravity Man said:

Right on, except that I can play doom at work on my gameboy advance, so there is a reason to get a video game system.:)

That's the one and only kickass console. Gameboy Advance is excluded from the "consoles blow" comment, mostly because a laptop can't compare.

People saying DDR for Dance, Dance Revolution is very very aggravating for me.

And I'd rather have both a console AND a PC. Nothing says lovin' like going from MGS2 to RTCW to GTA3. Woo!

Valid said:
People saying DDR for Dance, Dance Revolution is very very aggravating for me.

Three PCs, two Game Boy Advances, one PSX, one PS2, one PSOne, one Sega Genesis, one Dreamcast, one Nintendo 64, and plans for a GameCube and X-box. Life....is good!

God! i thought i had it good.... Sony AC3/DTS receiver, Sony DVD, Sony cd player, 5 speaker surround, Sony Trinitron Vega 24" flatscreen, Satellite receiver, Sony PS2, and my computer (see sig) oh and i paid for all of it btw.

Sorry i was off topic;)

Wa11y said:

Three PCs, two Game Boy Advances, one PSX, one PS2, one PSOne, one Sega Genesis, one Dreamcast, one Nintendo 64, and plans for a GameCube and X-box. Life....is good!

Even though i like comp games i'm pretty much set right now. Got all the comp games i want so i figured why not so i'm getting a console for Christmas. Wally, you'll have to tell me which you like better xbox or gamecube. I'm getting a gc for xmas but wanted to know if it's the right choice. Right now my view on the xbox is that it sucks but maybe you'll have a different view on it. thx.

Back