• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HLT Command on Win7 X64?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

endlezz

Hi everyone,

I am running a C2D T6400 on Win7 x64 and I am trying to kill that annoying CPU whining; I used the "run hlt command" on RMClock under Vista X86 succesfully, but unfortunately, while RMClock runs with an external fix, the command itself does not work. I have also tried CPUIdle Extreme, but that does not even run under x64 systems.

So, can anyone recommend me a programm to run the hlt command under Win7 X64? Or maybe tell me a way to manually run it?

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

I need a solution for this as well! Cpu whine fix for core i3 in my case. Desperate!

what's this cpu whine? is it when you can hear the cpu activity through the speakers as a high pitched sound? if so i need a fix for this as well

I think a proper sound card that uses asio drivers would help tremendously. Even if you have a cheap sound card (without it's own asio drivers) you can generally use asio4all. Even works with usb sound cards. Without a proper sound card deleination AND preferably asio drivers that came with it, you will forever be plagued by motherboard feedback. Whatever asio4all isn't recognized by, will revert to it's default sound layer including the pc noise feedback and whatever noise the sound module itself has. If your sound card has it's own asio drivers and all sound goes through it using asio, you can't get any cleaner sound from a pc.
asio4all is a free download btw
On my pc only foobar and xmplay use the asio4all drivers. In media player classic home cinema reclock should work for video sound. It locks the video card hardware to it's own clock which is similar to asio.
You can get reclock from free-codecs

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am running a C2D T6400 on Win7 x64 and I am trying to kill that annoying CPU whining; I used the "run hlt command" on RMClock under Vista X86 succesfully, but unfortunately, while RMClock runs with an external fix, the command itself does not work. I have also tried CPUIdle Extreme, but that does not even run under x64 systems.

So, can anyone recommend me a programm to run the hlt command under Win7 X64? Or maybe tell me a way to manually run it?

Thanks a lot.

are you trying to put the cpu into a high res timer state? does the whining go away when you open up windows media player?

This is mostly going to be on the sound card... i had this problem back in the Pentium D days. Just get a cheap PCI card and drop in there, and it should go away.

Back