• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a new PS.... What should I be looking for these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

Hi,
I need to update my PS as I've had several issues over the years. My current PS is Corsair HX620W.

My Budget is no more than $200
I want to eventually update my GC to GTX 780 TI and beyond...(so power for that)

So, could I get some help in what I should be looking for in Brand, size, and features....

Many thx!!!!

We have a sticky thread on good PSUs (in my signature), check that out. For a single GPU Intel based system a quality 550W PSU will be plenty for that type of setup and overclocking. This will handle water and anything else you can throw at it except another GPU. If you want a 2nd GPU in the future to run SLI, THEN I would look at 750W.

You cannot go wrong with Corsair brand though.

Yes I agree Corsair is a good brand but I currently have the HX series Corsair and I'm a little gun shy of it seeing I still suspect it giving me my long running intermittent problems/issues...
And I doubt very much I will "ever" SLI.....

In the Seaview Range locally I have these to select from;
G Series 650W & 750W
M12II 650W & 750W
X Series - 650W, 750W, & 850W

Which is best, The X or is that overkill....

Many thx!!!

Don't think that paying extra to go modular is worth it. Unless how the inside of the case looks is a big thing for you.

But the great thing about modular is you can get rid of un needed cables easily. Or even make clean extensions without ripping the PSU apart which is risky. On my main rig I have 2 or 3 of the cables pulled out of my system. Helps out considerably.

If you need help on reference. I have a 750w PSU. But typically my load is under 100w idle, under 200w CPU load and around 430w with everything going at the outlet. Unless your running dual GPUs anything more than 600W is pure overkill.

Don't think that paying extra to go modular is worth it. Unless how the inside of the case looks is a big thing for you.
agreed. But for a lot of people, that is big. Not to mention better case airflow with a bowl of spaghetti of PSU wires hanging around.

I've played with 2 modular PSUs: a M12II 850W and a M12II 520W. For the 520W I had 1 modular PSU cable remaining. For the 850W I had 2. If they were non-modular I could easily lump the unused cables and tuck them in a corner. This should not affect airflow. Granted, completely removing the unused modular cables would make the inside of the case look neater and nicer. So, to save on cost I just stick to non-modular PSUs. When the side of the case goes on, nobody can see the inside. To each his/her own.

Took me a while but ended up buying the Seasonic SS-760XPII 760W 80Plus Platinum PSU Version II unit.

Hope all my issues are finally resolved!!!

Thank you to everyone's advice!!!!

Attachments

• 10007456_10202609366349651_1599342946_n.jpg
    10007456_10202609366349651_1599342946_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 40
Back