• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intake vs exhaust speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProBoner

I picked up a TT exhaust fan which is noisey as hell but that's because it spins faster than any case fan I've ever seen :eek: ...I was just wondering if I would be better off throwing that one as the intake fan and putting the other (original case) fan as the exhaust or is that noisey ******* even helping anything?

If it doesen't make too big of a difference I might just swap it out for an old quiet case fan I have laying around... or I will fix the volcano9 speed controller and use it on that to slow it down a little if it is possible.

u should have more or equal cfm going in ur case to achieve positive pressure, resulting in a less dutsy case than if u have negative pressure, which is more air going out than in
________
Redhead Webcams

Last edited:
i guess u could measure the cfms of each fan and just calcualte around and find the right combos that would achieve pos. pressure, but u should also include the power supply, as it is equipped with an exhaust fan
________
WENDIE 99

Last edited:
Actual airflow in CFM is very different than rated freeflow airflow in CFM when dealing with axial fans.

He could calculate using the ratings of the fans, but the actual amount of air those fans are moving depends on how much resistance they face - the amount of air they move is very different than what they are rated for.

I don't have any clue as to what the fans are rated for, but I'm sure that between enlight 360w PS fan and the TT exhaust fan, there's a lot more expulsion than air intake.

BTW I know somebody replied to a post I made somewhere and they went into some car talk... does anybody know where that was? I wanted to reply but I never found it again :(

Click on your profile button at the bottom of your post. At the top right of your profile will be a link to "search all posts by this user". It will search and report all of your posts - it's a good way to ensure you don't lose anything like this. ;)

as IMOG said,
IMOG said:
Actual airflow in CFM is very different than rated freeflow airflow in CFM when dealing with axial fans.

He could calculate using the ratings of the fans, but the actual amount of air those fans are moving depends on how much resistance they face - the amount of air they move is very different than what they are rated for.

bassically the main idea is if you are having to ram the air through anything, a heatsink, those little hole on the back of the case where the fan goes, etc, usually if the fan has to push through any of those the static pressure the fan creates matters alot more than its rated CFM.

You mentioned something about a volcano 9 so i am assuming your using a thermaltake smart fan 2? Orange colored? If so, that fan does have excellent static pressure, and moves a good 75cfm @4800 RPM but as IMOG said, that reading is no good if its being obstructed by anything. I dont know about yours, but my old one did around 5900 RPM. Sounds like a hairdryer! so unless you have like a bunch of other fans, or another one of these, if its at full blast it will be pretty hard to even out the airflow and have an equal amount of intake vs. exhaust.

Also I beleive the optimal balance for case airflow is as dalilman52 said, equal or more intake is better becuase of dust and more air moving through.

Good Luck!
-f1

Yes I have one of those orange coloured smart fans (btw, with the probe in place it has never spun faster than 4700rpm) but unlike yours, mine maxes out at 5120 or so.

I have a spare case fan which is actually a little larger than normal... it might have come off an old 386 or something, but its quiet and I could use it to help speed up the air being drawn in by the intake fan... or better yet, re-direct it towards the CPU and videocard simultaneouly.

But I know that when it comes to intake or exhaust systems on a car, such a setup would cause turbulence and would actually make things worse (silly electric superchargers and these stupid "turbo" exhaust pipe fans come to mind)... is it the same with a computer case?

I tested what would happen having taken a second oversized case fan and facing it towards the CPU/videocard (from the bottom of the case). Blowing straight at the CPU/VC, the temps went up by 2C, blowing straight into the case (helping the intake fan) it went up by 1C.

Me thinksth tis time to cut holes and make some sort of home-made ghetto cooling setup and find a place that sells better heatsinks than the stock volcano9 one.

home made ghetto is the way to go! i have my volcano 9 at max speed, 4800 rpm, and i have both sides of my case off. I have tried alot of things, a carboard side with a duct, a Holms air heater blowing into my case, of course wiht fan only mode, ive tried a boxfan just blowing straight in. But the last thing i tried was i took a black trash bag, and modded it so it would be the perfect duct, i took the orange smart fan 2 off my volcano 9, and i ducted a the boxfan right to my heatsink, well lets just say it worked OK. Since the box fan had to fight to get air from 3ft down to 3 in, alot of backflow occured and not that much air was actually rammed through the heatsink. The box fan did not have enough static pressure. I wouldve stacked a second boxfan right behind it to increase static pressure, but i most likely wouldnt have had any luck, there still wouldve been backflow and not only would i have to worry about 1 fan motor overheating, but 2. Yes, the box fan was under so much load within 5 mins i could smell the motor burning. Maybe it wouldnt be under as much load if i had 3 box fans, but i thought ahh ill just screw that and try somthing different until i get water cooling. So i put the smt fan 2 back on, at full speed, and then with both sides of the case off, back by where the hsf is and the psu, and the other open side of the case, hot air was building up there, so i glued 2 80mm fans between the top of the case and the mobo tray. So now i have everything open, but in the corner where the cpu/nbridge/psu is, has got everything exhausting. So all the air gets pulled up there and most goes into the high powered orange fan, and then through the heatsink, and then after that all the heat gets sucked out the back by either the psu or the 2 glued fans. also i have the IO panel off so its kinda open and allows the hot HSF air to blow out that way too. This has kinda worked the best for the amount of noise it created, i could get 2 degree better temps, but id have to put up with 80 deicbles of boxfans.

LOL... very ghetto! I like it :D

I was thinking of cutting a 3" round hole in my case and makind a duct to draw air directly from outside for the CPU fan. On top of that, since the heatsink seems to be the problem for the volcano9, I was thinking of rigging the orange fan to work on the stock barton HS (but 2 sides on the fan wouldn't fully cover the HS) or I might go with something better altogether...

My little sister has a monstrosity of a tower for an athlon 700mhz... I should check if I can swap cases. That's would make things so much easier :)

Btw, a volcano 9 is much better than stock the stock heatsink.

I think what he meant by
I have tried alot of things, a carboard side with a duct
was he used the carboard so he wouldnt have to cut up his case. That is a good idea though. And then just make like a square duct out of construction paper. Although, just getting a new heatsink could really help, the thermalright Sk7 is a good choice. I reccomend a smart fan 2 to go with it, but you already have one :D http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_sk7.htm

it shouldnt be that expensive. And its a good heatsink too.

Its not too bad ($34cdn at a local seller I think) but my smart fan's speed control is broken in a way that I don't even know if I can sauder back :( so I'm thinking of getting another TT unit to rip the fan out and use their much better heat sink (the TT silent boost for $25cdn)

I have been running the SM2 @ 5100rpm for the last couple of days and it is driving me nuts, if I remove the jumper it will make my CPU idle 2C higher because the fan works at a lot lower speed than I really want using the themoprobe...

The heatsink itself is not as good as thermal right heatsinks, and it's price where I've seen it is a little more than it's value.

Efficiency is often misunderstood on these forums - a silent fan is not automatically inefficient, they can be just as efficient or better even than other fans.

What you meant was that the performance of the fan would not be optimum because it is silent.

dalilman52 said:
hey is the silent boost good? i know the fan wouldnt be efficient consiering its "silent" but wat about the hs itself?

I just finished installing it with the smartfan I had on the volcano9 (I removed the cover on the fan and now its noticeably quieter at full speed). The volcano 9 after letting my artic silver set for 2 weeks was running at 48ish at idle and 53ish at high stress (UT2003) running at 2.2ghz (1.675v). Right after throwing in the new heatsink with the same fan I got it down to 44C and 47C during a game of UT2003 running at 2.31ghz (1.70v). I am using speedfan 4.09 to get these readings, generally the bios is always a little cooler (39-41C at idle).

I'd say this was a damn good bang for the buck mod in my books at $25cdn and I got a really nice quiet panaflo fan that I can use on my case if I want.

Of course I probably should have tested how it runs with the panaflo so that I could make a comment on it, but I'm quite impressed right off the bat for such a cheap unit!!!

Last edited:
Back