• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new case..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Well, I've decided on buying a new case. I modded my last case, and, well, it was a really cheap case and when I took the top off (it was rivited), it was never really the same again... Really flimsy and such, plus the paint just didn't pan out the way I thought it would... It looked like poo... :(

So, I decided on this case ....

Now, I know it isn't an antec, a big huge server case, and I know it is some no name case, but, I liked how it looked. Becides, with the new house and everything I'm doing lately, I don't have time to mod it out.. Plus, once we get to remodel the computer room, the case will fit right in with the scheme of the room (black, white, silver, ultra modern style).

Plus, the reviews I read on a few sites seemed to have few gripes about it. I got 2. one for me and one for the wife and her new system (AMD 1700xp from new egg a few months ago..)

Lemme know what you think (and I'll post pics of the room when we are done with it. If you want a rundown of what we plan for it to look like, let me know and I'll post it..)

Looks okay to me. It seems like you could filet your fingers pretty good on the interior surfaces, but pictures are a hard way to tell that. And its going to be a tight squeeze but if you don't play around inside the case regularly that will only be a minor inconvenience.

This is something close to herasy around here, but I don't have a problem with picking a computer case just because you like the way it looks. If you like the look, and if it doesn't present some obvious and critical flaw-then go for it.

One thing I would do is replace the PSU. Pick up a Sparkle 300 or 350 and you're good to go.

BHD

new case

What case model is that? I have been very happy with the Chieftech cases. They are the same as Antec and if you screw something up you can buy new parts like sides and tops. I usually buy a bare case and get my power supplies at Directron.

PREMIER CP0-PR-TM868SWP 350W Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Acrylic Window & Fan
Specifications
Power Supply: 350W P4/AMD Recommended
Form Factor: ATX
Material: Steel
Drive Bays: 4x5.25" 3x3.25
Expansion Slots: 7
Case Fans: 1
Dimensions: 19" x 8" x 17" Model#: CP0-PR-TM868SWP

Yeah, chieftec and such are great cases, and well worth the $$$. I've always been one who doesn't go with what everyone else has, even if what everyone else has is the best.

Plus, it looks nice. As for the sharp edges, that is something I did forget about looking for.. I'll let you know.. should be getting it today or tomorrow.

Re: new case

phizzl said:
What case model is that? I have been very happy with the Chieftech cases. They are the same as Antec and if you screw something up you can buy new parts like sides and tops. I usually buy a bare case and get my power supplies at Directron.

Yeah, this is true. I recently had an accident when a jigsaw went berzerker while cutting a hole in the acrylic. So I just ordered another replacement panel for it.

BTW where can I by a replacement top?

As I posted in another thread, I wasn't really happy with this case.

The Acrylic window (on both cases) were all scratched up. There was no protective film on them, and the bag of hardware was just placed inside the case and not secured, so, during shipment, it just flopped around.

The back of the case seems to me to be really thin, although, the overall case seems to be sturdy.

To get the side panels off, you need to remove the top cover (which has the grid for a blow hole fan BTW) using the 2 thumb screws in the back. The side panels have handle grips to lift the panels up and out. The side panels seem sturdy enough, and fairly heavy.

The front benzel seems really flimzy. The bay covers bow when pushed on, and the whole front of the case doesn't seem to be made out of the thickest plastic that even cheepo $20 cases seem to have. It almost seems that if I were to take the front cover off and bend it, it would flex, instead of bend (maybe an exaggeration, but I didn't take the front off yet..)

If you look at the link for the picture at the top of the thread, you'll see what looks like screening at the top and bottom of the front. This is simply plastic that is friction fitted into the top and bottom of the front of the case. I easily removed one by just pulling on it.

The edges on the inside are not curled in, but, not sharp either. They did seem to do a decent job cleaning that up.

All in all, it is a nice looking case. Great if that is what you are looking for.(which I was). The grey paint job almost looks like a brushed aluminum case, and, they did a good job of matching the front plastic color and the side case color. It's not a chieftec or other top end case, but, I didn't pay top price for it. $40 +shipping. I won't have time to put a mobo in it for a while, but, when I do, I'll update this.

I'm not going to return it, because it has potential for further mods, plus, I can replace the Acrylic in both boxes for cheaper than I can ship it back for RMA. Again.. I'll keep you posted.

I would NOT reccomend this case for a person who has had better, or who moves their box around to lans or whatever, due to the thin metal on the back of the box. The quality is not what you would get in a more popular case design, and it does seem a little crowded in there. It would be good for the average user who want's a "different" looking case, and isn't going to be rough with it.

So far, if I had to rank this I would only give it about 2/5

Updated..

Well, I e-mailed newegg about the problem I had with the doors. They replied saying that if I call the # at the bottom of the e-mail, They will send me 2 new panels. (hopefully they come with the fans, that will be 2 extra :D )

I put the mobo in over the weekend, and, I must say, it was a very smooth install. I was mistaken in saying that the edges were not rounded (I should know not to trust my memory). They are in fact very smooth. No cutting of the fingers during this install.

The front cover is held on by 4 screws, instead of popping off. This is either a + or a -, depending on how often you take it apart. In this case, I think it is a plus, as their isn't much need to take it off often (untill I put an intake and need to clean the filter...).

The mobo side of the case (right side looking at the front of the case) is pretty sweet. There are many access holds to run cables, wires, etc. I was able to clean up a lot of my wires using these.

The complaints I had about the back of the case being thin and flimsy... Well, it is still thin. Once you put the mobo in, it takes some of the play out of it. It does seem to have nice grounding contact with back panel.

Speaking of the back panel. The case comes with the "break out" expansion covers, that leave the little burrs behind. So, make sure you know which expansion slots you want to remove (or remove them all) and file down the burrs BEFORE you install the mobo.

There was alot more room inside the case than I thought there was. If I needed to insert the ram, or swap it out, I have plenty of room(with my mobo, K7S5A).

The tri color fan included with the case is bright.. really bright. I have a purple CC in my case and it nearly washes it out. The fan is kind of loud, but pulls a fair amount of air. I need to put some other intake fans to help equalize the pressure a bit. Sorry, I didn't check temps, so I can't comment on the air flow just yet. I run stock HSF and nevr had a major heat problem.

Lastly, the case does have front USB ports hidden behind a little door toward the bottom front of the case. These connect using the individual wires connecting to the posts on the mobo. These caused me little problem hooking up, and, work flawlessly. The cables, however, are a little short and may pose problems if the USB posts are located much more than 8in from the bottom front of the case. Mine were just long enough.

All in all, I suppose it isn't a bad case. Had I not been jaded by the fact that I recieved 2 cases, each with scratched and dented doors, I may have given this a better inital review. Looking past that, the case isn't that bad, and I think I would reccomend this case for the thrifty buyer looking for a cool looking, inexpensive, pre-modded case. There is still room to mod in here, there are vents for 3 more 80mm fans in the front, back, and top, stealth mods are always an option and there is plenty of room to add a cold cathode or two.

Certainly not the best case, but, better than some that I have used in the past ::::cough.... cheap generic $15 steel POS I had...cough::::

Back