• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install Windows7 on a new SSD, when I have it installed on one HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello!

I have two hard drives 1.5TB and 2TB that are almost full, and Windows is installed in ONE of them.

Of course, the computer automatically boots it to Drive C:/.

But I plan to purchase an SSD because my startup is very slow. :(

I would like the end result to be, my PC boots onto SSD without the conflict of the other windows on HDD.

What procedures do I have to do? :shrug:

So far I only know, to install windows 7 normally to SSD by booting w7DVD.
then,choose SSD as 1st Boot in Boot Order.

Then I don't know what is next. Also, I don't know if there are probable conflicts in my computer after I do this (wrongly), I don't want to lose my files if anything :(

Remove the other HDD.. Install windows on the SSD. Make sure that drive is listed as first in the boot order.

OR, leave that other drive installed, put the new drive in, install OS, then you will have a choice of which to boot to.

I would like to have only ONE w7 (on SSD) installed, without the choice menu popping out

And after install, I would like to remove the old Windows 7 on HDD. Only manual delete?

1. Unplug existing Windows hard drive
2. Connect SSD
3. Install Windows on SSD
4. Reconnect old hard drive
5. Make sure SSD is set as boot drive in BIOS, not old hard drive

6. Boot into SSD Windows and nuke entire old hard drive or manually delete folders from old hard drive.

But more importantly, you would be wise to make a relatively small SSD OS partition, I use 35GB. Then install large apps/games on another partition, not Windows partition, then set everything up as you like it to be then image the OS partition so you can reimage it in 2 minutes every time when, not if, Windows goes :borg:

Yes, simply make sure that the Boot order in BIOS is set to SSD first.
Then your system will boot to SSD Windows and from there you can nuke/delete whatever you want from the old drive.

Your HDD should not be "C:" any more once you set up the SSD to be the boot drive. Winderz will give it a new ID/letter, probably D:.

The reason it's easier to nuke it is because sometimes Windows might say 'you need a permission' to delete a Windows folder even if it is on another hard drive you did not boot from.

But there are ways around that, you can get permissions, sometimes it's a pain, but it can be done. So in short, YES.

Does 'nuke' mean totally erase the drive ? :/ I have a lot of files and have no other backup media :( what is nuking?

I was reading OS partitioning on SSD from above, ok I shall do that.
But what is 'reimaging every 2 mins'?

Nuking is erasing the drive, yes.

He said if windows 'breaks' you can restore from an image in 2 minutes. Not reimage every 2 minutes. ;)

Oh ok. All righty then.

Last one, promise :D
Since, I will format, what would be best configuration for the Drive?

NTFS yes? And, Allocation Size, I just keep it as default. Or should I change it? Any advice? :)

Default NTFS, and as additional information to whoever else is reading this, when formatting an SSD, make sure you do so under Vista/7/8 or later, not Windows XP to get a correct partition offset.

So even if you have WinXP as part of your multi-boot, only use the SSD on it, never format under WinXP. Use Vista/7/8 to format.

When I switched to SSD for the first time, I took the easy approach.

1) Shrink C: my moving files/uninstalling programs & games that are installed on C:\ Until it is at least 20% smaller than the SSD.
2) Use CloneZilla to mirror the windows 7 install from the HDD to the SSD (It's pretty easy)
3) Change boot device in bios to SSD
4) Boot up from SSD and confirm that mirror worked correctly. You may have to go into Computer Management and adjust drive letters back to what they were.
5) Format HDD and use it for more storage.

There are more advanced tweaks for using an SSD' and extending it's life like ensuring that frequent small writes are minimized and relocating TEMP folders. But everyone seems to have their own strategy for that. I actually just do an NTFS Junction for the entire users directory, which is somewhat complicated to implement and is not supported by MS.

Thers's also details to watch for, like AHCI. If you're not using AHCI on your current windows 7 install, switching to AHCI after mirroring is somewhat complicated but doable.

There are more advanced tweaks for using an SSD' and extending it's life like ensuring that frequent small writes are minimized and relocating TEMP folders. But everyone seems to have their own strategy for that.
These days, there is nothing that needs to be done on modern SSD's (read the past couple of generations) to tweak for too many writes. ;)

Thers's also details to watch for, like AHCI. If you're not using AHCI on your current windows 7 install, switching to AHCI after mirroring is somewhat complicated but doable.
Easy breezy lemon squeezy. :)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

easier in W8: http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/windows-8-1-enabling-ahci-after-installing-windows/

Back