• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock Extreme4 Z87 - fan not spinning at 20% but will at 30%?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somegeek

Fan Header 101 question...

I'm setting up my fan profiles and I'm curious how the header works with the fan. When I set the header speed at 20%, the fan does nothing. When I move the slider up to 30% in A-tuner for the fan header, the fan starts spinning. Is there a minimum voltage or minimum RPM signal at which the fan will start to operate where it's too low when the header is set to 20%?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Thanks for the reply. OCD question... does the fan heat up at all if there's not enough juice to fire up the fan to move?

Last edited:
Yes, if the fan is at stall and receiving power it can be a fire hazard.

I adjusted the minimum speeds accordingly and they all spin up nicely to a min RPM when the box is on now. 35-38% speed seemed to be the minimum to spin them up. Thanks for the replies.

After further inspection, I'm learning the difference between PWM control and voltage control. :D

I have four identical model PWM (4-pin) case fans installed.

In the BIOS, a PWM header set at 5% speed for minimum temp = 650RPM for one of these fans. Same model fan on a voltage regulated header requires 43% speed setting to run at 650RPM at the minimum temp. After this realization, I was able to dial in my case fans more accurately to run quietly at idle and ramp up as needed.

If they are PWM, you can "daisy-chain" them with a good PWM splitter/cable, which makes life a LOT easier :)
However, do NOT use voltage control on PWM fans... they don't like it very much and something is going to break eventually.

Back