• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock 970 Extreme4 - Fan control problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isti84

Dear Fellow Forum Members!

I'm new in this forum, but i have some experience with AMD products.

I recently bought a motherboard entitled Asrock 970 Extreme4. I have to because my older motherboard died. I had an ASUS M4A88T-V EVO. I really loved it, but has old SATA and USB connectors.

Never the less, I put a PhenomII 1055T into the new motherboard from my old one. I was happy, everything is in place. I put my stock AMD heat sink on with fresh thermal grease on the CPU's cap. I started my rig. It flashes some debug information on the debug LED's. And it is alive!

The system started fine, the windows survived the motherboard change. I tried some games to test the stability of the system.

The first impressions was good, but the second impression was not. The stock fan was screaming!

The automatic fan control was disabled. So I enabled it. But the scream didn't stopped. The fan control ran the fan at 6000 rpm! I tried lowering the fan speed, but the asrock has some funny thought with the fan control naming and effect. At my old motherboard the fan operates well.

I tried to adjust the fan speed with the provided overclocking program. But it didn't help.

So I'm stuck with an 800 MHz phenom II at 48 C.

axtu.jpg

I'm really confused, and I'm hopeless. Can you help me with this?

Sincerely,
István

Based on the temperature, throttling, and fan speed I'd say you're not getting good contact between the heatsink and the IHS

Thanks for the quick reply. I reassembled the heat sink. The effect is the same. :(

Can you explain me IHS?

IHS is the integrated heat spreader, it's that silver thing on top of the CPU.
Can you post a picture of how the TIM looks when you take the heatsink off?
You're sure both clips are snapped on properly?

Thanks for the explanation of the IHT. I just call it tin-cap. :)

I did some tweaking in the BIOS. It is a big chaos, so i thought like a really big chaos. I changed the overclocking settings to manual, and set LLC to 1/4. Now the voltage lowered at 800 MHz and the fan returned to normal operation. I also enabled IES in the tuning program.

I will post your requested pictures from the board and the CPU tomorrow. I don't want to make a big mess while my mate is sleeping.

Also I read, from ASROCK that I need a downstream CPU heat sink. Can you give me suggestions about a proper cooler? In the near future I will upgrade my CPU to a FX-8320E.

First, I wouldn't suggest an 8-Core FX on that board.
Second, I need to know what case you have to make sure a heatsink will fit before suggesting it.
Third, you shouldn't be at 800MHz.
Fourth, what's your ambient temperature?

1. Thanks for the suggestion. I consider it.
2. My case is a "clone" of a branded case, i don't remember the bramd name. But it is a standard ATX case, with a lot of installable fan space. I will consider an upgrade, soon to a wider and deeper case. I use it without the side panel for plenty of air.
3. The 800 MHz is the idle clock, when I start a game or a heavy load test program the frequency changes back to 2800 MHz.
4. The ambient temp is now at 25-30 C. It is really a whacky weather in Hungary.

And finally, this forum is a highly recommended forum by me from now. I got much more information from here, then any our hungarian tech forums.

1. Thanks for the suggestion. I consider it.
2. My case is a "clone" of a branded case, i don't remember the bramd name. But it is a standard ATX case, with a lot of installable fan space. I will consider an upgrade, soon to a wider and deeper case. I use it without the side panel for plenty of air.
3. The 800 MHz is the idle clock, when I start a game or a heavy load test program the frequency changes back to 2800 MHz.
4. The ambient temp is now at 25-30 C. It is really a whacky weather in Hungary.

And finally, this forum is a highly recommended forum by me from now. I got much more information from here, then any our hungarian tech forums.

If you can find a brand/model of your case, please do.
Also, using the case without the side panel doesn't work well unless you have a box fan blowing into the side of the case. Are you doing this?

Definitely get a fan on there.

Nothing on the website about heatsink height, but it looks to be skinny enough to have issues with some heatsinks.

Hi!

Finally I've time to work with the MB. I think the pictures are not needed. I consulted with ASROCK to, about this problem. Their answer was the same I did before. Set LLC to 1/4 and set overclock mode to manual (with basic clock and voltage values). After enable IES in the tuning program.

I really want to thank you the quick replies and the help. This is a great forum, and you're awesome. :clap:

I will change my case and the cooler. The cooler will be an Arctic-Cooling Freezer A30. Maybe a bit of overkill, but I think it's ok. The case will be a huge case, with lots of fan possibilities.

Sincerely,
István

Have you already purchased the cooler?
There are better options in that price range that perform a lot better.

No I have not. My first objective is a bigger case. Then I will purchase a new cooler. Can you suggest any alternatives?

Hyper 212 EVO would be much better than the Arctic you mentioned.

Hi!

Try the Asrock bloatware the extreme tuning utility. I helped me a lot. On windows of course.

But for linux, you have to set the fan speed to automatic, and set the temperature to a reasonable threshold. It helped me.

But I've got an AMD board not an Intel. The BIOS might be different in some cases.

Br,
István

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply. But I was a bit drifted away from this forum, also I've forgotten to thank you for your help. :) Sincerely thank you.

Br,
István

Which motherboard fan header did you connect the CPU cooling fan to?

Back