• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASROCK Bios - X670E Steel Legend 1.20.AS01[Beta] 2023/4/20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SF101

The Printer Guru
This bios has seemed to really fix the post Delay on this motherboard even with mem training off my board was always slow to post seems fixed now.
Also it has added a few Memory Timing Settings that previously were not in the list such as tRef/tRefi which was stuck very low in the previous bios's
I assume this bios is released for most ASROCK motherboards now but make sure you check your own version just incase.
1.20.AS01[Beta] 2023/4/20
11.05MB Instant FlashUpdate method iconFlashback 1. Update AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.6
2. Improve memory compatibility.

Seems like you have ASROCK bios knowledge. I am at a loss and need help. New System:
Asrock B650 PG "Lightning" board purchased Oct 2022.
AM Ryzen 7 7700X
32 gb DDR5 memory J Skill
NVidia 3060 vid card
Samsung NVME SSD
800w PS
Old Antec P90 case.
Win 11 pro

I have very slow boots. I would estimate over 30 seconds. On boot from sleep mode I have to uplug it and then restart.

I went into the BIOS. I don't understand it and ASROCK tech support has been useless. The manual with the MB has no instructions regarding the BIOS at all and does even mention that the NVME hard drive should be inserted into the slot closest to the CPU.

I tried to DL a new bios from ASROCK onto a USA drive. It would not DL.

Can you point me to a source that explains the ASROCK bios jargon? Also a place that explains the 2 ways to update the BIOS?

My previous boards were Gigabyte and they all had excellent directions and BIOS explanations.

Thank you for your post.

Samoyed5665......old member from 7 yrs ago..

B650 PG Lightning(L6).png

Put a USB Drive in the Red Squared USB on the Back IO panel its just beside the top Blue ones.
Download link : https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650 PG Lightning/index.asp#BIOS
The below is the newest bios use that extract the bios to that USB.
Fist set your board to defaults before you do any bios update
In the bios Go to tools - EZ flash and it should see the bios "Verify the version is correct" then run it Do not turn off anything until its finished and Either gives you a F1 prompt or loads windows.
When you start the Bios update it will likely reboot and continue so dont touch any power buttons until its actually finished.
the AM5 platform does have a boot delay on memory training but it "should" be faster on the following boots.
1.212023/4/2710.37MBInstant Flashicon-help Flashback
1. Update AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.6.
3. Optimize for Ryzen 7000X3D series processor.
4. Recommend for upgrade BIOS if 7000X3D processor is​

View attachment 361776

Put a USB Drive in the Red Squared USB on the Back IO panel its just beside the top Blue ones.
Download link : https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650 PG Lightning/index.asp#BIOS
The below is the newest bios use that extract the bios to that USB.
Fist set your board to defaults before you do any bios update
In the bios Go to tools - EZ flash and it should see the bios "Verify the version is correct" then run it Do not turn off anything until its finished and Either gives you a F1 prompt or loads windows.
When you start the Bios update it will likely reboot and continue so dont touch any power buttons until its actually finished.
the AM5 platform does have a boot delay on memory training but it "should" be faster on the following boots.
1.212023/4/2710.37MBInstant Flashicon-help Flashback
1. Update AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.6.
3. Optimize for Ryzen 7000X3D series processor.
4. Recommend for upgrade BIOS if 7000X3D processor is​
Thanks for the reply. I know about the USB bios update slot. Question... Do I DL the bios update on my new builds USB or on another computer? If on my new build, I would have to boot into windows to enter your link to the new BIOS right? Are you saying I can go to the Asrock link within the bios? I'm not sure I understand you.

Download Bios and put it on the USB stick. USB stick goes in proper USB port to do the flash back...

Download Bios and put it on the USB stick. USB stick goes in proper USB port to do the flash back...
OK so you mean DL bios using ANOTHER computer.....NOT the new build? Then insert in new Asrock mb? I was not able to DL onto a USB using any of my 6 other computers. I cannot remember what the error was. However I will try again. This company has pathetic tech support. This should not be so difficult but that's Asrock. Thanks for you input. I'll give it another try this week and keep you posted.

Yeah bud, get the bios file on the USB stick... :)

I've never had a problem getting a BIOS off Asrock motherboard websites. I just downloaded the file (it's a zip folder, you do need to extract the file out of it before going to USB stick to work) to my PC to test...this is not an ASRock issue...

1683025912582.png

Samoyed5665......old member from 7 yrs ago..
What was your ID seven Years ago? We can merge accounts. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah bud, get the bios file on the USB stick... :)

I've never had a problem getting a BIOS off Asrock motherboard websites. I just downloaded the file (it's a zip folder, you do need to extract the file out of it before going to USB stick to work) to my PC to test...this is not an ASRock issue...

View attachment 361779

What was your ID seven Years ago? We can merge accounts. ;)
Samoyed1960 I think I had an AMD Phenom 2, quad core at the time and a WD "raptor" and some Nvidia GTX 8800. lol

DL bios. Then it says: What app do you want to use to open? No suggestions are offered. No windows apps that I have work. Sorry but I don't speak and do not understand Taiwanese thinking. Since tech is useless I have to try to determine WTF they mean. I need a direct link to the page where the BIOS is and specific, not general, specific directions about how to open and extract the BIOS onto the USB drive. I am a scientist. I never assume that people already know. I explain step by step. Directions are pinpoint accurate. I Appreciate the help but I am stuck. I don't think like Asrock tech people. Right now the USB drive reads as empty. The problem seems to be the opening of the BIOS file and saving it to the USB. ,^&^*^*)^*__)&(&) MEEEE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes.

When you DL the file(folder), it's compressed/zipped. If you highlight the folder and right-click on it, you should have the option to EXTRACT ALL. Do that, and you should be able to open up the folder. In it, you should see the file (among other things) like the image in post #7. Put that file on a USB stick (in root to make a next step easier). Boot to BIOS and flash the BIOS (Tools -> INSTANT FLASH). Find the file on the USB stick, select it, and it you should be off and running.

Let's not blame ASRock or Taiwanese thinking (seriously man? and what I had to delete??!)... what you missed is a simple extraction step to access the BIOS file. All motherboard partners do this. ASRock even tells you to decompress the file (which is why you're seeing the error) in their instructions. You don't have to open it....... you need to move it to the USB stick.

1. Download the latest BIOS file from ASRock's website : http://www.asrock.com.
2. Copy the BIOS file to your USB flash drive. Please make sure the file system of
your USB flash drive must be FAT32.
3. Extract BIOS file from the zip file.

Last edited:
Yikes.

When you DL the file(folder), it's compressed/zipped. If you highlight the folder and right-click on it, you should have the option to EXTRACT ALL. Do that, and you should be able to open up the folder. In it, you should see the file (among other things) like the image in post #7. Put that file on a USB stick (in root to make a next step easier). Boot to BIOS and flash the BIOS (Tools -> INSTANT FLASH). Find the file on the USB stick, select it, and it you should be off and running.

Let's not blame ASRock or Taiwanese thinking (seriously man? and what I had to delete??!)... what you missed is a simple extraction step to access the BIOS file. All motherboard partners do this. ASRock even tells you to decompress the file (which is why you're seeing the error) in their instructions. You don't have to open it....... you need to move it to the USB stick.
Well I think I am just not familiar with Win 11. I am a Win 7/10 guy. Using your instructions I seem to have DL the file. It did not let me "right click" but above the file had the option to "extract all" It did this but did not offer the option to send to the USB drive D. Searching drive D shows a 32 mb ROM file which I assume is the new bios. Sorry to lose my temper but things used to be much easier than this. I'll try inserting the USB tomorrow. Regarding the "thinking". I teach students from all cultures. They absolutely have different methods of learning and problem solving. I grade their tests by hand and talk to them. It does not mean anyone is better or worse. All cultures have different tendencies and to deny this or fear saying this is being "woke". I enjoy this diversity. It's what makes life interesting. The important thing is not to discriminate based on assumed tendencies. Thanks for your patience.

Sorry to lose my temper but things used to be much easier than this.
Not sure anything has changed. If anything, I thought it got easier, lol. It was just a simple step you missed, not knowing how to deal with compressed files and knowing to place the file on a USB stick. The manual for your board has the steps to do the BIOS Flashback method (page 50 of the online manual). I listed three of the steps above.

You also have a start on how to do it from within the BIOS (not all the way, but you should be able to follow the instructions/what's happening on the screen once inside the INSTANT FLASH). So you should be able to manage from there.

Regarding the "thinking".
...we should move on. ;)

Last edited:
The bios does come zipped.
open it in windows and then drag the file inside directly onto the USB your going to use.
put that in the back port and the Instant flash / Ez-flash in bios should find it.
You can also use the Rear IO flash button but id not do it that way.
Some Companies and Boards do have Windows Bios flash but Truly I dont believe in that windows is always less stable than Bios.

The bios update tool is under the "Tools" header in the bios. Reboot and press the F2 or Delete key to enter bios and then look under the "Tools" tab to find the EZ update bios updater tool. It will look for the new bios file on the USB stick. Then execute the update operation. This is better and more reliable than trying to do it within Windows.

If you had such a thing happen and you have the proper bios (make sure it states it can do recovery) in the correct USB port as I showed here .. you can use the Bios recovery button quite simply on most of Asrock's motherboard Rear IO's.
I have tested it and it works. its Bios FLBK or Bios Flashback

any way back on track.

I seem to be the only one that ever bought a b650e taichi and a bios came out for it the other day, 1.24.AS02, with AGESA 1.0.0.7 Patch A.
I'm more worried to install this bios after all the problems 1.0.0.7 caused to start with

i'm monitoring performance and voltages and i am within spec on bios ver 1.18

what do you all think?

I didn't know there were issues with that specific AGESA...

If you've enabled XMP and the SOC voltage is under 1.3V, you're all set.

Not sure that an "A" automatically means "B" (could just be another #, 1.0.0.9 or 1.0.0.7/a as the article actually said). Isn't Asus the only one that put out 1.0.0.7 two+ weeks ago (according to the article) when the article was written? So it's possible any 1.0.0.7s released over the last couple of days may have the rollup with all mitigations.

Motherboard vendors will be receiving the first 1.0.9.0 firmware (internal use) in the coming week and since they will take some time to test and finalize, we can expect the newest public AGESA BIOS to roll out by mid or even the end of May. It is not known if the new AGESA firmware will release as the standard 1.0.0.7 or 1.0.0.7a (Patch A).

EDIT: I see at least MSI has 1.0.0.7a out as of the 16th, which is the second agesa with the 'fix'. :)

ASRock came out with a BIOS today, 1.0.0.7...

Asus yesterday - 1.0.0.7a (1.0.0.7 was released by them 5/4)
Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.

So, it seems like 1.0.0.7a has the updates(?)...I think it's worth reaching out to ASRock and seeing if their 1.0.0.7 from 5/11 (or today) has the latest fixes or if they expect 1.0.0.7a to do it. If it's the latter, ASRock is a bit behind the curve.

A bullet point... seems like the RAM issue is 192GB... so stuffing 4x 48GB sticks.... 1% of users on this consumer platform, if that?
  • 1007 -192GB four DIMMscan only reach 4400, and actually doesn't have PROCHOT Control & PROCHOT Deassertion Ramp Time

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back