• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my score okay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

With 3Dmark01SE, 13040 is the best score I've accomplished recently[see sig]. I don't rememer which driver, either 43.03 or 43.45. The card is stock cooling. And my comp is very fragmented, and my drivers are now messing up. I need to do a new clean format & install.

Should I use win2K or XP or win2k3 Server? I barely play games, mostly will be programming, video editing, and animation watching.

Thanks

That score is about right for your rig. Try 3DMark 2003, it is more video card based.

And the fastest windows for benchmarks is 2k

I got my slowest benchmark scores on 2k.. I use 2k for surfing and things not for gaming, because it is so much safer than XP. I got my best scores on XP, maybe because there isn't so much stuff running at the same time. If I had more than 15 processes I would have pressed Ctrl+alt+del and ended them. I use XP for benching because I always seeem to get better scores (I remember someone telling me that 2k would give me better scores, but it never did)... Maybe I should get a new service pack for 2k, but then I'll probably be loaded with un-killable spyware. If you'll be on the net consistently, use 2k. I don't know about win 2k3 server though.

Windows Server 2003 is just that... a server OS. It is designed to outsource applications, and processes to connecting systems. Not designed to do a lot of internal software. Just generally one or two programs pumping out.

Not to say that I wont kick ***.. just wondering why you'd want to spend $800 on software unless you can get the educational discount....

-Frank

There really is nothing internal different about the server edition of windows other than some added features and some settings. It should be able to do exactly the same scores as the pro edition. The kernel, desktop wrapper, and execution of programs is identical.

Back