• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this look legit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dealing with your life and dealing with over priced software are two different breeds.

Either way, I'd stay away from those just selling keys.

im gonna do it.

BTW JonSimonzi that was for other stuff other then Windows 7

I know that's for other stuff, but it lends an eye into their business practices. I made a post about this exact kind of thing not too long ago in the OS section, and after reading the responses and doing a bit of research, all they are, are MSDN/Technet keys as mentioned earlier. This reseller has no right selling those keys. Save yourself $30, and torrent a cracked/activated version of Windows 7 Ultimate. As far as Microsoft's concerned, they're the same thing. Just buying this, you're giving some sleaze $30 of your money. Just because you're paying money, your not obtaining it legally.

And I'll say it more clearly this time. If you see keys for Microsoft Office being sold from a reputable retailer, that's fine. But MS doesn't sell Windows 7 as keys. To get a for sure, completely installable and known to be good key, you HAVE to buy from an authorized retailer who also provides the media. Microsoft DOES NOT sell keys or licenses without media for their consumer oriented OS'es. Only their server OS'es.

You can buy a digital download of Windows 7 from M$, which is just the key and a link to download it, no actual physical product, which is what this reseller is offering. Look here, you can choose just to download it.

I know that's for other stuff, but it lends an eye into their business practices. I made a post about this exact kind of thing not too long ago in the OS section, and after reading the responses and doing a bit of research, all they are, are MSDN/Technet keys as mentioned earlier. This reseller has no right selling those keys. Save yourself $30, and torrent a cracked/activated version of Windows 7 Ultimate. As far as Microsoft's concerned, they're the same thing. Just buying this, you're giving some sleaze $30 of your money. Just because you're paying money, your not obtaining it legally.

You can buy a digital download of Windows 7 from M$, which is just the key and a link to download it, no actual physical product, which is what this reseller is offering. Look here, you can choose just to download it.

and yet its still no where close to the price that other seller is trying to claim as a legit copy. Somehow I suspect that when you buy from MS you get a nice PDF with logos and nfacy stuff so you know its legit. I suspect when you buy from the seller posted in the OP you get an email with a cdkey in it or some photocopied VLE page... Microsoft could give away windows 7 with the purchase of a cup of coffee and the OP seller still wouldnt be any more legit... If yall really want to spend 30 bucks and get nothing Ill give you may paypal address, send money to your hearts content.

I can't believe only 4% of his customers realized they were sold fake software. The real number is probably higher if you subtract out all the shills..

Since this was answered, I moved this to General computer related discussion and left a 1 day redirect.

PS, Glad you didnt buy this, it'll work fine for a bit until Microsoft catches on and then eliminates the updating features for this, leaving the buyer screwed.

Kaspersky just locked out thousands of users that bought these type of keys on Ebay. The keys stemmed from Germany and the licences were mostly sold on Ebay, when Kaspersky caught on, they deactivate the licence keys leaving a lot of Ebay-ers without a full functioning AV product. :cry:

Since this was answered, I moved this to General computer related discussion and left a 1 day redirect.

PS, Glad you didnt buy this, it'll work fine for a bit until Microsoft catches on and then eliminates the updating features for this, leaving the buyer screwed.

Kaspersky just locked out thousands of users that bought these type of keys on Ebay. The keys stemmed from Germany and the licences were mostly sold on Ebay, when Kaspersky caught on, they deactivate the licence keys leaving a lot of Ebay-ers without a full functioning AV product. :cry:

Yep, and guess what (I know you know this, this is rhetorical)? All those who bought from an Ebay seller left positive feedback because initially, the product worked. I would love to see the ratings some of these sellers have if Ebay were to allow a buyer to come back and update their ratings six months after the sale.

+1 for asking anyone you know in college that has MSDN Academic Alliance.
That's how both my computers are running Win 7 right now (one 32, one 64).
Sadly, it doens't support some of my aging hardware (sound card, Promise Ultra 100xt [it's PCI to IDE card])

But what if M$ doesn't do anything for, oh say, 6 months, then blacklisted all those keys. It's often hard to do charge back from that long ago.

Someone really needs to poke Microsoft and show them eBay sellers and sites offering cheap Ultimate 7 keys. The sooner M$ blacklist those keys, the easier for people to file charge back (less than 2 months) and the more of a sting the seller would receive when he sees his balance go from down a few thousands dollar in a few days.

Just got a copy of win7 pro 64 for the desktop for the low low price of $78.86 (price includes the $13 charge for them to mail me a disk with it as well as tax) with the microsoft student discount deal. Got my cd-key instantly! cant wait to get home from work and do the install :D

If you are a student, you should see if your school is a part of the MSDN Academic Alliance. There are many Microsoft products (Win 7 included) that are offered for free.

this is what i did. of course ultimate isnt available but i got 7 Pro 64 bit

Someone really needs to poke Microsoft and show them eBay sellers and sites offering cheap Ultimate 7 keys. The sooner M$ blacklist those keys, the easier for people to file charge back (less than 2 months) and the more of a sting the seller would receive when he sees his balance go from down a few thousands dollar in a few days.

You can't fix stupid. And the sooner we stop expecting companies and government to make it easier on stupid people to not get ripped off, the sooner those stupid people will do one of two things:

1. Get smarter.
2. Die because they can't afford health care any more from buying stupid crap.

You can't fix stupid. And the sooner we stop expecting companies and government to make it easier on stupid people to not get ripped off, the sooner those stupid people will do one of two things:

1. Get smarter.
2. Die because they can't afford health care any more from buying stupid crap.

That's a little negative... You should think more positively! :)

Back