• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blown BIOS???? Maybe this will help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
So I don't know about you guys but every once in a while I try to OC something way too far and blow out the boot instructions on BIOS chips.

This happened just recently to me. I bought a board and CPU off a great member here at the forums. So I started ocing this opti 165 (200*9=1800) I got and wouldn't you know it I got an 80+-%OC (9*333=2997 <Runs stable shooting for this again). So sometimes I get a bit greedy and well I shot for a 100% OC (355*9=3195) and blew out the bios.

While searching for a new BIOS I ran across Bios-Depot on ebay. $11 and my board was back up and running like a champ. So to all of you out there in need I'm posting this thread. I hope this guy helps you out like he helped me.

So right now I'm testing the hardware to see if I messed up anything else. Wish me luck

AF

cool thanks i hate trying to get a new bios chip from the manufacturer,they always want way to much info from you and this guys is much cheaper,did the chip look like an original part or it look generic?

I Bought a bios chip for my abit AX78 from bios depot,cost me $17shipped.It was identicle to the original chip and pre flashed.

I highly recommend bios depot to anyone with a bad flash!

Wow dude, thanks a lot for this! I think I'm going to try this for my ole DFI P965-s that doesn't seem to want to boot.

I'll have to try to remember to post back once I get it and see if it works!

Wow, I can honestly say that I have never corrupted a bios...although I have also only flashed a bios maybe twice in all the years that I have been computing and tweeking these rigs.
I am of the mindset that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. Especially mainboard bios firmware.
The only time I ever needed to flash a bios was to add support for another cpu.
That is a great idea though. good thing to know. thanks fer the link.
I have a couple of mainboards where the bios chip is soldered to the board :screwy:

Wow dude, thanks a lot for this! I think I'm going to try this for my ole DFI P965-s that doesn't seem to want to boot.

I'll have to try to remember to post back once I get it and see if it works!

Well, I ordered the BIOS and it's been shipped. So we'll have to see what happens. Only coming First Class though, so it'll probably be a few days.

I did this once, but I was lucky enough to have a buddy with the same board, and we did a hot swap with the chip to re-flash it. This service looks great if you don't have the option, but I haven't fried a BIOS since then, and that was about seven years ago.

I did this once, but I was lucky enough to have a buddy with the same board, and we did a hot swap with the chip to re-flash it. This service looks great if you don't have the option, but I haven't fried a BIOS since then, and that was about seven years ago.

I'm just hoping my problem is a fried BIOS. My board went from fine to just not posting, beeping, anything. That's why I was hoping it was the BIOS.

There's a slight possibility it was CPU compatibility, so we'll see since the chip will come with the latest BIOS and support for 45nm chips.

I'm just hoping my problem is a fried BIOS. My board went from fine to just not posting, beeping, anything. That's why I was hoping it was the BIOS.

There's a slight possibility it was CPU compatibility, so we'll see since the chip will come with the latest BIOS and support for 45nm chips.

Awesome, just got my chip in the mail, popped it in the board and she booted right up!

Thanks for the heads up on that seller, AmbientFiction!

Just as an info ... if you failed bios flash and you have AMI bios then 95% bioses can be restored using clean floppy/cd/pendrive ( in newer bioses ) with bios file in amiboot.rom format. Restart your pc and bios should make auto recovery if it finds correct file. Sometimes have to hold ctrl-home to force read.

Can you flash a Z77 rog mobo with a X79 rog bios take out the chip and put it in the rampage 4 formula? If it is possible than let me know. My R4F gives a 00 code and cpu error light turns red with a 4930k installed. I have a maximus v gene with me and i can give it a go if it is possible. Anyone tried this or can recommend this crazy idea of mine?

Can you flash a Z77 rog mobo with a X79 rog bios take out the chip and put it in the rampage 4 formula? If it is possible than let me know. My R4F gives a 00 code and cpu error light turns red with a 4930k installed. I have a maximus v gene with me and i can give it a go if it is possible. Anyone tried this or can recommend this crazy idea of mine?

It's called 'hotflashing'.
If the bios chips are removable, and the chips are the exact same in both boards, then yes it's possible to restore a corrupted bios.

Cross flashing bios's between boards however, is not recommended. 99% of the time it results in a bricked board.

Cross flashing bios's between boards however, is not recommended. 99% of the time it results in a bricked board.
To expand on this a bit, boards that are close but not quite the same it can either work beautifully, or cause fireworks and mass destruction.
Most of the time it simply won't work till you put the right BIOS back on, but a BIOS that is close enough to mostly function but has a different voltage table in it can give the CPU 6V, or the NB, or RAM, or etc. After that, nothing is working again.

To expand on this a bit, boards that are close but not quite the same it can either work beautifully, or cause fireworks and mass destruction.
Most of the time it simply won't work till you put the right BIOS back on, but a BIOS that is close enough to mostly function but has a different voltage table in it can give the CPU 6V, or the NB, or RAM, or etc. After that, nothing is working again.

Ok thanks guys much appreciated. I wont try this. I guess i will have to buy a new bios chip from asus or ebay and wait for few weeks to get my system up and running.

Back