• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First AMD Build-using AsRock 939 dual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ochungry said:
check the vcore table for VID3 you will see that 1.35 to 1.45v will stay intact(no change). If you want more than 1.475v you need to set vcore to 1.225.
1.225=1.475 (+.025 for vid5=1.50)
1.250= 1.50 (+.025 vid5=1.525)
1.275=1.525(+.025 vid=1.550)
1.30=1.550(+.025 vid 5= 1.575v)
1.35=1.350+.025=1.375
1.40=1.40+.025=1.425
1.425=1.425+.025=1.450
1.450=1.450+.025=1.475
To check your vcore, before going to windows, just go to bios by pressing "F2" and then check vcore that way. you can check vdimm while in bios, also.
If you have soldered a wire to vdimm read, it is much easier to check vdimm (while in bios "f2" method) and just turn the trimmer toward one of the trimmer's leg. if you see decrease, turn it opposite way.
if you soldered wire to each end of resistor #2, the vdimm increase is gradual and very slow. so dont worry about turning it too far to or away from the leg.
the resistor end to the right( closer to #1 in photo) is ground, and the other end is connected to resistor above it. So you know which wire has current and which is ground. if the trimmer knob is turned all the way toward the ground leg, you will reach near 3.05v (which is safe). So I would say about 5 to 7 turns away from the ground leg should give you about 2.9v
The trimmer has 3 legs. you can just discard one of outer legs and just use the middle leg and one outer leg. The middle leg usually is grounded(wiper).
so, it's best if you solder the ground end of resistor #2 (top end toward motherboard near transistor marked #1) to middle leg of trimmer.
Try above and let me know how it's working.
Thanks OCH
I'll check when I get home. Can you give me a link to a pic or diagram of where Resistor # 2 is .
Also just tell me that I was supposed to solder Vid 3 and vid 5...thats what I did.
So the max vcore is set to1.30 to =1.550(+.025 vid 5= 1.575v). I get it!!

rebelranger said:
Thanks OCH
I'll check when I get home. Can you give me a link to a pic or diagram of where Resistor # 2 is .
Also just tell me that I was supposed to solder Vid 3 and vid 5...thats what I did.
So the max vcore is set to1.30 to =1.550(+.025 vid 5= 1.575v). I get it!!
here is the pic of resistor #2 (marked 122 on top of it.
to it's right is transistor #1. the resistor #2's end facing trans #1 is ground.
the other end of resistor #2 is connected to resistor above it and has current (~2.56v).
The VID5 has a ground soldering pad next to it(SGRND). you connect the VID5 pad to sgrnd pad next to it. that's what you did right?
same as VID3, has a sgrnd(ground) pad next to it and you connect vid3 solder pad to sgrnd pad next to it. right?
VID3 in this photo is below vid4. the red dotted line is to indicate joining the vid3 pad to sgrnd pad next to it.
the vid5 is way below this area (not visible in this photo).
here is how vid3+vid5 works. The solid red mark indicates joining the vid5 pad to sgrnd pad next to it.
look at the image 1 in the link. that's where vid 5 and sgrnd pad next to it is.
You did it the way I described in the link, right?
The vid5 connected to sgrnd pad next to it will give you an additional 25mv.
I cant be more clearer than this. :)

That's exactly what I did...I need to look at the Bios first then if not there...I'll get the board under the magnifier.. I used an incredibly tiny tip to solder with so I'm sure there shouldn't be any bleed.

I'll be home shortly and check this all out. I have a feeling, I need to confirm in the Bios that all went well.

rebelranger said:
I'll be home shortly and check this all out. I have a feeling, I need to confirm in the Bios that all went well.
Ok.
BTW, you need to set vdimm to "high" in bios to see the increase.
"auto" and "normal" will not be affected by vdimm mod. another word, no change at those settings no matter what position the trimmer is at.
so make sure you set vdimm (Dram voltage) to "high"-save settings, and reboot, and then "f2" to go to bios.
everytime you change vcore you have to save first, reboot, and check.
just a reminder :)

Thanks I see all of the increases and set the vdimm to high.. Starting to move some.. I'm using Evergreen and SiSandra along with cpuz..
Also using THIS CPU INFO

rebelranger said:
Thanks I see all of the increases and set the vdimm to high.. Starting to move some.. I'm using Evergreen and SiSandra along with cpuz..
Also using THIS CPU INFO
cool.
I dont know that software.
people use, cpuz, pcmark, 3dmark, everest(home addition,free), Prime95,
Superpi, and a few other free wares for benchmarks.
You can get them all At MajorGeek. some cost money, but most people use the ones that are free.
for screenshot, most people use imageshack(quickshot)
There they are, and welcome to the world of voltmodding, overclocking, and benchmarking. :)
Looking forward to see some screenshots of your oc'ing and benching.

hey i just did an 8 hour burn in. Went from 7mins prime stable at 1.425v 2.7Ghz too the same but 48mins prime stable. Im impressed i must say!

och, i agrees about the vdimm mod. My board seems to overvolt the vcore about .050v so my max should be 1.500ish vcore. I havn't used above 1.400vcore at all yet. However the stability to vcore ratio is fast getting out of hand i believe. Once it begins the increase exponentially like this it means the chips maximum is near. ill keep trying once i get my big typhoon on this thing. judgeing by the stock cooling i have now (no heat pipes) the bt will keep this hting at very close to ambient at 7v, let alone 12! my amd XP-M had a 3 degree differance in idle load temps when the delta was at 12v. these optys run cold as. i havn't breched 40 yet!

Last edited:
Seems much more stable I'm set at 296 right now (lieele funky but I'm tweaking and runing bionic (similar to Prime95) for at least 12 hours more and see how that works.. I also could add to that list aquamark.. I have all the tools that you've mentioned. I also have a photo site (flickr) that I'll start posting pictures to.
Again OCH, thank you. You deserve a medal for not only being helpful, friendly and concerned but you deserve one for being patient!!
Thanks to all of you for your help!!!

On a side note:
I ordered the ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200 from Newegg--will be here tomorrow and will start working on my next system...

Hipcrostino said:
hey i just did an 8 hour burn in. Went from 7mins prime stable at 1.425v 2.7Ghz too the same but 48mins prime stable. Im impressed i must say!

och, i agrees about the vdimm mod. My board seems to overvolt the vcore about .050v so my max should be 1.500ish vcore. I havn't used above 1.400vcore at all yet.
Dont worry about voltage below 1.6v. dont go over 1.60v. cpuz and bios shows overvolting but its not.
The board actually undervolts. best to check it w/ voltmeter. there are several places for vcore read.
You can set vcore as high as 1.450v without voltmod.

@ rebelranger: no problem. Glad was able to help. lots of good people in this forum.

well i just attached my big fat big typhoon cooler to the board. Took a little work. I comes with two mounting plates, but the instructions need a backing plate. So i pulled the basicl plastic housing from the asrock, pulled the mouning clips from it, placed then in the back of the board. The BT plate lines up perfectly with them, placed the whitle tabs through it and they held the plate in place. Then slipped two bolts throught he othe two holes (as per bt instructions) and attached it. It works awsomely!!. 29*c loaded atm (as in right now!) with a delta on 7v. The only problem i had was the mobo tray. Had to cut a hole into it. But as an added bonus i made sure i had access to the caps and other things from the voltage regulation system. there for checking the vcore should be easy!!

would be awesome if this board was actually undervolting, as that means i have mountains of voltage left!. Thanks the to 1.6 limit. wasn't sure what it was. Anyway going to burn in again tonight.

OK one new thing.. Seems my raid 0 is slow now??
I'm going back to check whats up with this.
When I installed oblivion and a few other things it was slow.

Just curious why Bios 1.80? and Not the newest.
Really looks great... I assume you did the Vmods?
I tampered with 310 today and still tinkering. Will post final numbers when I get stable!

Back