• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Socket 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
I have two Pentium 1 133MHz chips, and I want to try and use them both on the same board. But to do that, I'd need a dual CPU board for Socket 7. Preferably something in ATX. I've exhausted all my resources (I even checked eBay!), and I can't find anything. Can anyone point me to somewhere that would have dual socket 7 mobos?

Hmmm...bugger.

Anyone else? I'd really rather use both these processors in the same system, instead of building two systems? I can't really use two systems that slow.

Yes they make them.....
BUT, they are so old they will be very hard to find.
You will need to run NT 3.5 or 4
as 9x doesnt support SMP
2K is out of the question as even dual 133MHz would hardly be able to run 2K
OK that would make for a good linux box.

Best bet to fnd a dual socket 7 board would be to goto a used computer store.

The old dual socket 7 boards don't run true dual. The chips aren't SMP capable to start. We have some old boards that had quad 200's but they were a waste because they didn't really run all the CPU's at once. They just ran one application on one, on on the other and so on.

It would be a total waste in the long run.

Well....poop.

I was actually looking for the board for a Linux box. But it looks like it'll be too much work for not enough rewards.

And they are pretty hard to find. I even looked on eBay, and found nothing. So it looks like I'm building two systems.

dual mb's

There are dual motherboards for pentium 1 chips. Been using one for 3+ years now. It is a tyan tomcat 4, dual pentium1 233mmx. Win2000 runs quite well on mine with an old firegl1000pro video and voodoo2 addon card. 512mb of edo 60 ram. The board does perform much better than a single cpu, even with old pentium 1 chips. I use plenty of 3-d software and have benchmarked my rendering times with 98/dual boot/win2000 and/or winnt4. It is much faster in win2000. Some software is coded to utilise smp. It is the operating sys and the software app dependant, not hardware. My rendering times were/are much quicker with winnt/win2000. I can open the task manager and see both cpu's going full tilt with only 1 software package rendering an image or anim. Most all currently new graphics and/or rendering software is coded to utilise dual or more processors.

The Tyan Tomcat 4 is the only dual board for pentium 1 form that I know of. If you come across any in your search, Let me know too. I could use another one.

John

Thanks, dymensia3d. I'll look into it. I checked out Tyan's site, but they didn't have anything for P1. But one of my friends has another one of their boards for P2-3, which is why I checked them out.

Well, I found this, but it looks like one of the sockets was stripped off? I've seen the Tomcat IV S and the Tomcat IV D. The D seems to be a Baby ATX board. Any word on which of the two I should get?

dual p-1's

Yes the "s" denoted single cpu, I believe and the "D" for dual. Don't know if they're still available as of now. I'd be interested to find out though...
John

All I've been able to find is the "S" version. I guess if you're brave or good at soldering, you could solder on another CPU socket, but I don't know if there's anything else you'd need to make it work right. Bugger.

Back