• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace Bios Chip on fried botherboard? (Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

I accidentally cleared the bios with the power on to the system and now there's no error codes and it just powers on and reboots.
Switching from dual bios to single bios result sin the same thing but on a slower cycle.

There are bios chips for sale on ebay - anyone re-soldered them before?
Any other ideas?

If you have to resolder...its time for another board. Some have drop ins but I don't think that board does.

Time for a new board. It is a Z170 after all.

I miss the days of the removable BIOS chips. I can't count how many scrambled NF7-S chips I had to swap out.

Should be a replaceable chip on that board, see here from overclock3d review:
1673270550952.png

Edit: Sorry, that's the Op-Amp. BIOS chip is soldered.

What happened to the BACKBONE on this site??! Go back to my thread where I was soldering new caps on a motherboard to replace broken ones. (...or the one where I was crying because Secure Boot blacked my bios. Whatever floats your boat! :D )

Here's your guy... Check out this video:

...and this one:

Can't remember which video... but in one of them he just takes the backup bios... unsolders it... and solders it in place of the original bios.

Depending on how skilled you are with a soldering iron... I'd give it a shot.

Like I said... I got a CHEAP motherboard for like 55 bucks (think it's in my sig. There's a thread on it here.)

Looked like someone had dropped a BOWLING BALL on it.

It would turn on... but your chances were about as good as hitting a fast ball outside the pocket.

I forget how many caps it was... but it was one of the most badass things I'd ever done before I started rebuilding my moto's engine...

EDIT: But before you even get into all that. Google: "Gigabyte Dual Bios pin short method."

EDIT2: The Cliffnotes version is: 1. Heat up the chip. Preferably with a heat gun that you can direct to specific location. Get ahold of the chip... gently pull upwards. You have to be PATIENT. Just hold it with the tweezers until it comes up with ease.

2. Clean the board and put some flux around the pads. Then the tiniest drop of solder you can pull off on each solder pad.

3. Lower the other bios chip on there and either use the heat gun to get it into place or just gently touch it with the smallest soldering tip you can. A magnifier would help if you don't go with the heat gun method.

That's it! But hopefully the pin short method works for you instead.

Last edited:
Back