• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Z170X Gaming 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I think my motherboard has failed. It tells me my storage drive is failing, but I put that HDD in an external enclosure on another rig and run disk check and it finds/corrects errors, but no S.M.A.R.T. warnings like on the Giga board. It also won't see other drives that show right up in other rigs. To top it off, my memory won't run over 2133 MHz and the left channel of the audio is missing from the rear headphone port. I get occasional boot failures and Windows start up repair says it can't fix it, so I hit Proceed To Windows (Recovered!?) and then it boots right up like a fresh install.

I also can't run my RAM at the rated speed. I can't set it at my OC because I get a pop up that tells me that's out of the available range for the multiplier (!?), and no matter where I set it up to the rated 3000 MHz (as high as the BIOS will allow me to set it) it drops back to 2133-2200 MHz when it boots. It holds the CPU OC.

Things I've tried.

#1) I've tried two separate HDDs along with my original storage drive, same results. I have a 300 GB Raptor in it now and Windows doesn't see it (not in BIOS, either). I tried another Raptor with the same results. That one is in an external enclosure (USB 3.0) now, and it shows up with no issues.

#2) The problems occur using the Z170 chipset SATA ports and the Asmedia SATA ports.

#3) Changed PSU. Swapped the Evga in my sig for a Lepa G1600. No change.

#4) Tried multiple SATA cables that tested good in the other rig. No change.

#4)Tried all SATA ports, even the ones behind the graphics card. Took it out multiple times for that. No change.

#5) Cleaned all SATA connectors and ports with a small brush and alcohol. No change.

#6) Cleared CMOS, and reflashed with two different Gigabyte BIOS files. No change.

#7) Ran a preliminary 20 loops of MemTest with no errors. I'll run it overnight to be sure.

I haven't reinstalled the OS for three reasons. The BIOS doesn't see the HDDs most of the time, so that's not Windows related. It won't run the memory at rated speed, so that's not Windows, either, and with a 5 MB LAN it will take a couple hours short of eternity to download 150+ GB of game files and updates.

So, if anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestions. Otherwise, I'm going to open an RMA ticket with Gigabyte tomorrow and take it from there. I'm hoping it won't take too long, otherwise I'll be pulling the 1045T from my back up rig and dropping the FX 8370 in it. Or an 1100T. Or 8350. Or 980 BE. First world problems. :D

Almost forgot. Mobo is not detecting XMP, and the only XMP profile it has listed is 2133 MHz

Last edited by a moderator:
RMA.

While you are at it, take the time to back up your applications... this way you don't have to DL them all again. ;)

I save all my installers and update as needed. This way, I've backed up my downloads folder and can reinstall a majority of apps w/o downloading.

That's the direction I'm leaning. I also have to remember to put the stock op amp back in it before I ship it.

My OS, programs and games are all on my Samsung boot drive. The storage drive that's giving me fits has everything else. Pictures, videos, recorded TV (900 GB), downloads, Documents, all of it. And I don't enough storage laying around to back up 3+ TB. :( I took that drive out of the rig, and will back it up when I get a replacement. I've already saved Documents, Pictures, and Downloads. It's hard to back it up when the rig sees drives like a drunken sailor. LOL I'll have to tear in to the back up for all that and save what I have room for.

I save all my installers and update as needed. This way, I've backed up my downloads folder and can reinstall a majority of apps w/o downloading.

That's what I do. It's in my Documents Folder in a file labeled "installation files". Saves me a lot of trouble when programs get borked or I have to reinstall my OS.

RMA request sent. Got an email in under 10 minutes telling me it was approved, RMA number to follow. So far pretty good customer service from Giga. :thup:

Got my RMA number and address label for shipping it today. Gigabyte is knocking it out of the park with service, so far. We're talking approx. 12 hours for a process I started on a Sunday night. :salute:

I'll document the experience and results here. I won't be able to ship it until at least Wednesday. I got some nachos from the local el gato taco stand the other day and haven't been able to get farther than 10 feet from a bathroom ever since.

When I pull it the board will be pictures from all angles of everything (incl. serial number and socket) and I'll use a soft brush to get the dust from the nooks and crannies before I box it. I'll also be ordering a new audio PCB for my case tomorrow. This seems like a good time to strip everything down and give it a thorough cleaning, too.

:clap: Taco gets every stomach! So proud!

I guess Gigabyte is trying to take evga customer service crown? I keep reading evga is often disappointing.

Well, Gigabyte has had 12 BIOS for the board (Rev. 1.0) and eventually a Rev. 1.1 Could be they just expect a failure and expedited RMAs on the board. :shrug: I just hope they put the BIOS I had back in (doubt) because don't want the microcode "fixes", and I know which one I like. Also, the Bios update for the KL chips can't be rolled back, so don't want that, either.

Don't want the "fixed" BIOS. I'm not worried about the bugs. I will however, receive whatever they put in it, so, there's that. As long as it's not the KL update I can use whatever BIOS I want.

Haha, yeah... a couple percent at worst for you in some cases. I wouldn't (and dont) fret. :)

Mostly I was happy with the BIOS that let me hit 3733 MHz on my RAM with a Z170 chipset. It didn't seem as stable with the later BIOS versions. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a Rev. 1.1 and start all over again. :D

Alaric, I didn't see any mention of it but could the audio chip you have installed be causing issues?

Both channels worked fine from the front headphone jack (before I borked the jack) and audio is fine from the speaker outs.It will be easy enough to find out, as I'll be putting the stock op amp back in before I send it off.

The audio op amp isn't soldered to the board specifically to be replaceable. It's a feature of the model, so no worries. :D

Back