• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w2k issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rangi

Hi,

I have a problem loading w2k, as in the speed of loading, with all the performace tweaks in the bios to max it seems too darn slow.
anyone have any ideas to speed up that initial boot process?

Iwill kk266+
Tbird 1200@1460 10.5/139
512mb Kingmax150 5-2-2 cas 2
pep66 7000prm 41 degrees full load
powermax 400w psu
leadtek winfast gf2 gts pro @ 236/450
maxtor 10gb udma100 7200rpm hdd
quantum fireball lct20 20gb udma100 7200rpm hdd
aopen cdw pro 12/8/32

How slow is "too darn slow"? Mine takes about 40 or 50 seconds to bootup. I don't think that's too bad. It's tolerable that's for certain. Then again my system only gets restarted about maybe once a week or so. I leave it on all the time. So bootup is'nt a concern.

Boot times in Win2K are notoriously slow, but there are tweaks available: I'll see if I can find a link or two.

Meanwhile a few points to look at: is Quick Boot ( or Fast Boot) enabled in bios? Memory test turned off?

Are you using DHCP for a network card? (Especially slow if a dhcp server is NOT available!)

Have you turned off services that are not being used? (webserver, etc.)

My Win2K pc boots in about 25 or 30 seconds.

Welcome to the Forums

Have you tried clearing out the system tray? Having lots of apps running there can really slow things down.

Have you got the fastdetect switch enabled in your boot.ini ?

Thanks guys for the replies,

In the sys tray there is very little, altering boot.ini er...no i havn't done that but i will look, I have got fast boot in the bios enabled, as for w2k services i dunno what should be running and what is surplus, as for anything else im allways open for ideas.

network card is set to dhcp.

And what I call slow is anything more than 60s to load, for what I have hardware wise it should do better!!!

OK then is XP pro better,any thoughts on that?

anyone that can forward some cool links to help i would appreciate it

cheers

(imissed it earlier, but) Welcome to the Forums!!!

You said you are using dhcp: do you have to? The DHCP negotiation adds a few seconds due to the lease negotiation-small gain right there if you can go with a static ip.

I'm going to look for some win2k tweak links now: busy with rl stuff, so I blew it off before!:D

Here is one: I gave this a once over, looks ok.

Last edited:
Back