• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which version of Windows 7 should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

I currently have Windows XP Pro and am going to Windows 7 for my new build.

Should I get Windows 7 Home or Professional?

I have viewed the differences of all three operating systems in a chart.

The price difference is $45.

Which would you get and why?

The main differences are that you can't remote desktop into the Home Premium version of Windows (slightly annoying), you can't join a domain (don't care) and there is no "easy" option for setting up a VPN connection (don't care).

I picked up a 3-pack Home Premium upgrade for $150. Compared to the $150+ for a single copy of Professional. The option, for me, was obvious.

can't remote desktop into the Home Premium version of Windows (slightly annoying), you can't join a domain (don't care) and there is no "easy" option for setting up a VPN connection (don't care).

Any one of a dozen free VNC applications will solve the "slightly annoying" issue :p

One other thing not mentioned here that I find useful in Pro that isn't in home is the ability to use the built in backup utility to backup over the network (rather than limited to local disks only). But I'm 99% sure you could find this same function in a 3rd party app.

So really the only thing you would miss in the home version compared to pro that can't be had via 3rd party apps is the ability to join a domain which you most likely don't care about.

One other thing not mentioned here that I find useful in Pro that isn't in home is the ability to use the built in backup utility to backup over the network (rather than limited to local disks only). But I'm 99% sure you could find this same function in a 3rd party app.
I just use DeltaCopy (RSYNC for Windows) to backup my files. Linux server backend.

Back