• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scsi on/off switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I have an idea for people that have scsi hard drives but don't have them in use all the time. I have a scsi HDD as my second drive and it always spins creating heat and noise, when I leave my computer on to fold protiens:) or when I just won't use the drive I unplug the drive to stop the noise and heat. I want to install a switch that turns the drive on and off. I was thinking of putting the switch on the ground wire. I hope that would work, it would be one of first mods that I thought of myself.

Sounds like a great idea. Tried to find some information on how to wire a power switch into a hard drive but I didn't have any luck. I'll give yer post a little BUMP..and maybe one of the electrical experts on the boards can tell you the best method to wire it up! Good luck!

I think I'll try to find a switch that can connect 2 different circuits at once. If I can't find one, how hard can it be to make. I am gonna have to cut of both 5v and 12v at the same time. I was checking out www.sciplus.com but couldn't find anything, but I did see some cool stuff for projects.

There's a thing that keeps an open circuit except at high temps. If I could find one that switchs on at around 45-50C I would hook it up to my CPU and some leds or a buzzer in case of a CPU fan dieing or somthing. Just a saftey feature.

I think that you can, with some BIOSES set the HDDs to spin down after a while.
In linux you can type:

hdparm /dev/sda -Y

for the first SCSI HDD.

Could you not just add a sitch between all power leads ie.

Back