• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
what makes it a set top box? because it has blu-ray? the kinect? hdmi pass through? i dont understand lol. its a gaming console with bonuses. i dont see how any of those retract from it being a console.

Totally missing the point. Microsoft emphasized all the TV integrated crap at the announcement and really did not focus at all on the games. To me, they made it out to be more of an Apple TV or Google TV competitor that has the hardware spec to play games rather than a weak ARM processor.

Also, I found it hilarious that they think people want to sit around and talk to their Xbox. It makes sense with Siri because it's easier to talk and drive than to text and drive (safer too). However, this isn't the 1960s and I'm not Captain Kirk. I don't want to audibly bark commands at my TV. "Xbox On". "Xbox, Watch TV", "Xbox, change channel to NBC"...... Gives me a nightmare thinking about it. :facepalm:

Also, if they're going to force the Kinect with it then why the hell didn't they build it into the unit instead of needing a wired peripheral attached to it? Sloppy.

Their saving grace will be if they show up to E3 and impress the hell out of us with actual games without prerendered cutscenes and a formidable lineup of exclusive titles. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboudit

Totally missing the point. Microsoft emphasized all the TV integrated crap at the announcement and really did not focus at all on the games. To me, they made it out to be more of an Apple TV or Google TV competitor that has the hardware spec to play games rather than a weak ARM processor.

They gave games plenty of air time. Besides, that's what E3 is for. They showcased new features on the Xbox One, can't fault them for that.

Also, I found it hilarious that they think people want to sit around and talk to their Xbox. It makes sense with Siri because it's easier to talk and drive than to text and drive (safer too). However, this isn't the 1960s and I'm not Captain Kirk. I don't want to audibly bark commands at my TV. "Xbox On". "Xbox, Watch TV", "Xbox, change channel to NBC"...... Gives me a nightmare thinking about it. :facepalm:

I use voice commands on my Xbox right now. If you don't want to, just use the controller. Not hard.

Also, if they're going to force the Kinect with it then why the hell didn't they build it into the unit instead of needing a wired peripheral attached to it? Sloppy.

Then what happens when someone puts the console in a home entertainment enclosure, like mine. The camera can't see and the mic can't hear.

Their saving grace will be if they show up to E3 and impress the hell out of us with actual games without prerendered cutscenes and a formidable lineup of exclusive titles. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboudit

See my responses in bold.

very well put atminside.
i dont see any problems with voice commands, when i had xp still i had most of my basic commands run by speech. such as "open facebook" or "open google" "login" "open ventrilo" stuff like that whats so bad about talking to your console or pc?(im too lazy to set it up on 7 lol it took a few weeks of tweaking to get it right." if you dont like it you dont have to do it, im willing to bet they are going to invent some kind of controller type device to play games and stuff like selecting menu's without talking.

Well, they already revamped the 360 controller and revealed it with the console. Looked awesome, I'll definitely be getting one of those for my PC.

Then what happens when someone puts the console in a home entertainment enclosure, like mine. The camera can't see and the mic can't hear.

And it overheats like the last Xbox.

I agree that the new controller does look nice. I'll be getting one as well. I'm just wondering if they stuck with 2.4GHZ or if it's bluetooth

I agree that the new controller does look nice. I'll be getting one as well. I'm just wondering if they stuck with 2.4GHZ or if it's bluetooth

Mine doesn't overheat.That only happens in a completely boxed in space.

I'm not sure, Bluetooth wouldn't surprise me though.

Mine doesn't overheat.That only happens in a completely boxed in space.

I'm not sure, Bluetooth wouldn't surprise me though.

I had three overheat, sitting out in the open.
Bluetooth would be the best choice IMO, I get interference once in a while on my 360 controllers right now

this is not the old xbox im sure they learned their lesson.
im sure he meant just put the kinect in the enclosure... why would anyone put their xbox in an enclosed area... quote tags probably would have helped with post #86..

and the camers and mic are not on the console, they are on the kinect. why would some one close their xbox in an enclosure?

this is not the old xbox im sure they learned their lesson.
im sure he meant just put the kinect in the enclosure... why would anyone put their xbox in an enclosed area... quote tags probably would have helped with post #86..

and the camers and mic are not on the console, they are on the kinect. why would some one close their xbox in an enclosure?

Exactly what I was saying. That if they wanted to force everyone to have a Kinect then they should've built it into the main box instead of having a wired peripheral.

The other guy said then he couldn't put it in an enclosure because the camera and mic wouldn't pick up everything.

To which I replied, then it would overheat like the last Xbox (being in an enclosure) because the old one overheated if it wasn't sitting on a block of dry ice, let alone in an enclosure.

Any lesson learned would've have to have been learned by FoxConn (the ones who actually built the 360s) not by Microsoft and we know what a fine upstanding company there are (they build Apple products too btw).

I have no idea who they sourced the manufacturing to on the Xbox One

At least we know we can eliminate the bad drives issues that plagued the Xbox and 360 because it seems they'll just be used to install.

ohhh lol i misread i thought he said that in reply to the paranoid people who thought they were spying. i thought he meant to just shut the kinect in the cupboard lol. ugh im busy at work so just skimming through crap. my bad lol

Apparently M$ came out and said that you can disable the Kinect now, but it has to be plugged in still I do believe.

I'm blown away at how many cons there are on the X1, my god it sounds like it'll be a money sink just to own one. I was fine with paying $55/yr for gold LIVE and be able to borrow from family/friend or buy used games and play them on my console but now you have to PAY to do that, and I heard there's a start-up activation fee once you buy the console then you have to keep it online 24/7 in order to keep your unit's account active, etc. etc. I love Forza 2/3/4 and Forza 5 would be cool but hell no I'm not getting an X1 if it's THIS bad.

And about the Kinnect unit being required to stay hooked up to the console is a bit suspicious... up there with the gov't accessing all the online social networks. Since the Kinnect is an "eye" to detect you and your movements, I wouldn't rule out the Kinnect being an actual camera.

Playstation 4 is sounding better everyday, I hope the rumor is true that DP is working on Gran Turismo 6 for that instead of just Playstation 3.

Pre-2008 360 units were easy to overheat, post 2008 the 360 has a different processor which allows the unit to run cooler, I've never had issues. Funny thing though, a friend of mine has the original 360 from 2005 and it never once overheated, she took good care of it though and put a pillow case over it when not in use (to keep free of dust).

Game over, Sony just owned Microsoft in every way imaginable. Barring massive hardware failure issues, this gen is over before it even began.

In my cheap opinion Sony won when they decided to charge $0 for their networking service.

The whole required kinect, almost-always online requirement, used game policy, etc just adds to Microsofts folly.

I've never owned a console before, and in contrast to what seems like most people on the internet, I was very intrigued by the Xbox 1 being more of a set top box. I like the idea of having an all in one center for things and being able to communicate with my programming via the Kinect voice responses. Also, as a casual gamer, the hands free approach of Kinect appeals more to me than the controllers of the Playstation Move and the Wii.
So I was actually excited about the upcoming Xbox.
However, seeing the price and other restrictions M$ has implemented, I'm beginning to think about passing again or other options. Will the PS4 offer similar set top box and entertainment center features as the XBox will? If not a console, is there another comparable and similar budget item that I could set up to perform the same tasks that the XBox will? Off the top of my head I can't think of any. So I will wait for the reviews and a price drop. I'll probably still be a M$ customer, but a tempered one.
Again, I'm a novice in this area and everyone is currently saying Sony destroyed M$, so maybe after more information I'll understand why everyone is saying this.
Pardon the current state of ignorance.
And these days, I'm a casual gamer at best. So I think simpler motion detection games and entertainment features are what would appeal to me as a consumer.

Back