• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox Series X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Xbox Series X launches tonight... I remember the Xbox One launch... 7 years ago almost to the day... The Playstation 4 had sold out INSTANTLY. So I ran down to my local Media Markt... the day of the launch... *with* my camera... hoping to catch photos and video of an angry mob of lunatics fighting over the last Xbox One...

At that time the store was right around the corner from my apartment. About a five minute walk away. At first I was a little surprised the parking lot wasn't so full... then I was amazed that... nobody seemed to be running... no lines outside the place... no lines INSIDE the place... no line period.

Middle-aged couple was coming down the stairs with an Xbox One... they looked at it one more time... put it down... and picked up a vacuum cleaner and went to the register.

Just as I was about to grab what I THOUGHT was the last Xbox One on Earth... I looked to my right... and noticed that they were packed up... TO THE SKY. Literally they have Xboxes from the floor to the ceiling. And the video game department was EMPTY.

There was a college kid nearby making some tough choices on printers... but that was about it.

I couldn't believe it. I thought "Well maybe after the kids get off school... or the parents get off work..."

I came back the next day... there were MORE Xbox Ones! They threw out all the tables and just started putting the printers on top of stacks of Xbox Ones. They were still there for Christmas... they were still there for New Years. A few of them were still there TWO YEARS LATER... long after I'd left the neighborhood... first chance I had to come back. (You could tell... The original systems had "DAY ONE EDITION" written on the box...)

There went one of my schemes to make a little extra money over the holidays...

Last night I received an invitation to the Midnight Release of the all-new Xbox Series X at the Media Markt at Alexanderplatz.

As tempting as that would be... I'm a LOT more curious to see how many Xboxes they're going to have tomorrow...

Thanks for that very interesting story.....

Pulitzer Rainless, I have always admired your writings skill!:D

Thanks to covid and now everyone on the planet wanting to be a part time flipper buying anything they can sell for a cpl bucks more than they paid for it there won't be any stacks to the sky this time. I tried a handful of launch times for all the big online retailers and anytime I could even get one in cart I never made it through checkout. Today tried a few times for PS5 then caught it on Amazon and zipped through check out instantly without millions of bots crashing the site. I still always get each gen console, why not sure. Barely play them much anymore. Got a scorpio edition that has maybe 25 hrs on it, a 500 milly ed PS4 pro with even less play time. Hoping this gen will have more games that catch my interest and the PS5 to me definitely has the better launch titles so will grab a series X eventually but in no hurry.

Thanks to covid and now everyone on the planet wanting to be a part time flipper buying anything they can sell for a cpl bucks more than they paid for it there won't be any stacks to the sky this time. I tried a handful of launch times for all the big online retailers and anytime I could even get one in cart I never made it through checkout. Today tried a few times for PS5 then caught it on Amazon and zipped through check out instantly without millions of bots crashing the site. I still always get each gen console, why not sure. Barely play them much anymore. Got a scorpio edition that has maybe 25 hrs on it, a 500 milly ed PS4 pro with even less play time. Hoping this gen will have more games that catch my interest and the PS5 to me definitely has the better launch titles so will grab a series X eventually but in no hurry.

You're a kindred spirit! :D

I got one:

last_one.jpg

I always try to get a console on launch day... no preorder... just to prove that it's possible. I did it with the Gamecube, the Wii, didn't NEED to do it with the Xbox One for the reasons outlined above. But you're right:

preorders.jpg

All of THESE systems are preorders. Mine was the only one left for sale, off the shelf, in all of Berlin. Guess Covid DID have a big hand in that.

I'm not liking this first wave of PS5 systems at all though... waaaay to COMICALLY big and ungainly. Like those PC cases that they make for high school kids with little fins on the side and all that ridiculousness. Would've been cool when I was 12... now it seems ridiculous. I just changed ALL THE FURNITURE IN MY HOUSE. I'm looking for calm and uniformity.

Not sure what sony was going for there...

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 7.23.36 PM.png

Back