• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And now my Xbox Series X is dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Had a power outage... Every single device in my home (besides my field recorder which died last week) is fine... but my Xbox Series X is dead.

Sucks to be me... sometimes. Usually around the end/beginning of the year.

happens, even with surge protectors and/or UPSs.

you should take it apart now.

Nah. I'm done with that ****. I'm taking it to a local shop to repairs. I actually did that this morning but the bastards weren't there.

They're going to do a diagnostic (for which they've temporarily waved the fee) and give me a final price next week. If I don't like it then I know a place in Paris that can get it done for 249 bucks and will let me pay in four monthly installments.

Thankfully, buying a new video card in installments, and selling my old one has left me with some (temporary, obviously) surplus cash.

I like to get in and out of these things quickly... but it's quite ridiculous to have such a big, HEAVY machine be so fragile.

Every single other device in my house survived these random electrical outages. PC, PlayStation, Television, toaster... ALL of it. Except the Xbox.

This is ridiculous.

Okay so this is the LAST TIME i ever try to support a local repair shop here.

They kept my X-Box since THANKSGIVING... kept telling me "It'll be two days... it'll be two weeks..."

Wound up being TWO MONTHS.

And... THEY COULDN'T FIX IT!

They never actually did the "diagnostic" they said they would. They just ordered the new power supply and hoped for the best.

When that didn't fix it they gave up... still had me wait another day because apparently they just didn't HAVE my X-Box anymore. They outsourced it or sold it or whatever.

So they offered me a "new" one for 300 bucks.

Which I accepted because I was just DONE with this whole thing.

(They also had a hitman waiting for me... Some LARGE... older dude... who was CLEARLY OUT OF PLACE... and wasn't there any of the twenty times I was there before during this whole debacle. I don't know if you're ever seen a guy that just doesn't look right... doesn't look like any other guy anywhere near you... This was that guy.)

So I have another Xbox now. And it ended up costing me the EXACT same price it would've to have Microsoft repair or replace my old box. (Only they would've done it in like three days... with free shipping.)

There's something just OFF about the electronics in the Series X. My PS5, PS3, and every other device I own survived these electrical problems... but the Xbox didn't.

Fortunately the crooked repair place threw in a... frankly questionable... surge protector.

Did he look like this ?

View attachment 365105

Both taller... AND older. You would think he was somebody's granddad... but he looked like this guy:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 7.42.34 AM.png

...only taller and more sinister.

...AND... well maybe not "drunk" yet. But he definitely had a buzz going at 9 in the morning.

And you think: "Gee... That's funny. I've been to this place like 37 times over the past two months... Never seen THIS guy before..."

...followed by:

"AH! This was the one time they actually knew I was coming..."

Back