• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COD MWII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
God help me... Here we go: :D

Never really cared for the COD franchise (besides the universally loved COD IV). I did play, and rather enjoy in some shallow way, COD WWII (on Xbox).

For the same reason (a sale's a sale! 70% off!) I've now picked up COD MWII (also on Xbox).

Would've preferred the PC version... but that wasn't an option.

In fact... I thought I was buying COD MWIII... (which would've made 20 bucks an INCREDIBLE steal... though nowhere near the 10 bucks I paid for WWII), but I guess I was thinking of the wrong logo.

Anyway... there's this weird thing where, somehow, installing one of these things installs all of them or something like that? (Not being a COD fan... I wouldn't know.)

Apparently you can play something called "Battlezone" regardless of which COD game you own?

I'm just confused about the whole thing. I know it's taking up 200GB... Just want to make sure I'm actually getting something out of the deal.

So what IS Battlezone? And what can I play and not play with MWII?

And how are the two games intertwined? (I know Battlefield does a similar thing where installing one game kinda also installs two or three other games that you can only play if you paid for the other ones too... Don't know why the hell they do that... but here we are.)

I thought: "Who better to ask?"

Last edited:
Zoinks. Chinkies. Something. :rofl:

This....COD 'dashboard', is new (like late COD II last year???). It's downright cumbersome and annoying, much like the Battlefield dashboard. But there's around 420 different game types in COD... so, dashboard to sort through them I guess, lol.

That said, the only thing remotely associated with BF is the dashboard vibe. No game type, nothing has anything to do with BF.

Warzone (you meant?) is the Battle Royale version of the game (the only thing I play - though I bought II and played some of the SP, but the AI was annoying - the additional modes werent it for me). It's free for both II and III, I believe. I haven't played the BR for III (not buying it for SP modes).

What can you play if you bought the full version? Everything MWII... the SP stuff, co-op, co-op MP, MP things, etc. As I said, I dont really touch them, but, you get it all.

Yea warzone. i used to play it when it first came out. then life got in the way and i came back to warzone 2.0 and all my stuff was gone.
tried 2.0 out for a little bit till the most recent update of which they totally effed up that front end thing.

I get they want to have a in game front end but the already do in battle net.
i dont know why you have to launch a game from battle net, have it load, only to launch a different game from the game that loaded to begin with.
that was kind of the last straw.

i bought the more recent first modern warfare and the cold war one after that but always on sale and probably not again for a while.
all that unlocked stuff i had which was cool, now gone in less time than it takes for a kid to make it through highschool. no way not any more.

they cater to ADHD crowds now and it shows

i say save the time and effort and play something else

The finals is getting better
Tribes has a new game coming out soon
Arc Raiders looks interesting, waiting for an invite on that

if you do play warzone, dont on console.
consoles have their place but for something like this its best to play the real deal otherwise you'll be very frustrated

I get they want to have a in game front end but the already do in battle net.
Thankfully, I got it through Steam, but it's the same difference (a launcher).

consoles have their place but for something like this its best to play the real deal otherwise you'll be very frustrated
Aim assist on console.... that is all. lol

The finals is getting better
I heard they buffed the light class but still not good enough... mid and heavy are still the meta(?).

Zoinks. Chinkies. Something. :rofl:

This....COD 'dashboard', is new (like late COD II last year???). It's downright cumbersome and annoying, much like the Battlefield dashboard. But there's around 420 different game types in COD... so, dashboard to sort through them I guess, lol.

That said, the only thing remotely associated with BF is the dashboard vibe. No game type, nothing has anything to do with BF.

Warzone (you meant?) is the Battle Royale version of the game (the only thing I play - though I bought II and played some of the SP, but the AI was annoying - the additional modes werent it for me). It's free for both II and III, I believe. I haven't played the BR for III (not buying it for SP modes).

Yeah, my bad, Warzone.

So you have people who own either MWII or MWIII and they can BOTH play Warzone, correct?

I tried "Lockdown" in Warzone yesterday (since you mentioned it). Didn't like it.

You have to parachute in (every time) and I landed in a mall and could't find my way out! hahahahha :D

I did some window shopping (some really nice watches...) but "the battle" was going on OUTSIDE the mall... which looked, for all intents and purposes, like a REAL mall. (Though there DEFINITELY should've been more signage for emergency exits because, if there were a fire, I SURELY would've burned alive...)

Finally got outside and I was killed INSTANTLY. Then this cycle repeated itself until I quit the game.

Yea warzone. i used to play it when it first came out. then life got in the way and i came back to warzone 2.0 and all my stuff was gone.

That seems INCREDIBLY sad! Like HOW was all your stuff gone?? Isn't the whole point of COD... "all your stuff"?? Did you try contacting customer support?

I did CS (VERY briefly) for EA. If it was me working I would've just GIVEN you the stuff. Like I didn't even give a ****... The tools we had to work with BARELY worked anyway. So confirming whether you really had the stuff or not was not a big priority for me. LUNCH was a big priority.

if you do play warzone, dont on console.

Yup! That's, very much so where I was when I played... "Frustration." I played a round of regular COD multiplayer before that... and that was fine on console. Really no different from COD WWII.

But yeah... Warzone was not cool on console.

All the stuff was gone when they migrated from WZ1 to 2 I'm betting

Just finished reading up on this: https://gamerant.com/call-duty-warzone-shutdown-cosmetics-skins-gone-what-happens/

Apparently this will probably happen again in the NEXT Warzone version... which just means I'm never going to play Warzone. Because why would I invest all that time only to lose everything when they switch to the next version?

I'd rather just play the regular COD multiplayer and keep everything! (Or sue the hell out of them if I buy or win something and it just magically disappears.)

I don't even like Battle Royale games anyway (though I probably should given that I am the MOST casual of casual FPS players.

What I like most about COD games is being absolutely TERRIBLE at them and then... very slowly... working my way up to 1 kill per game... 10 kills per game... maybe even as high as TWELVE kills per game! :D

It was much, much easier in... say... Killzone (PS4) where you only had 4... rather basic classes. And you could just die over and over as a sniper until you absolutely mastered it.

Then my thing is to always just GO ROGUE. Run my *** behind enemy lines, shoot everyone in the back. Find some impossible-to-get-to hiding place and start lobbing grenades while everyone wonders where the hell they're coming from...

Sigh... I'm THAT guy.

So you have people who own either MWII or MWIII and they can BOTH play Warzone, correct?
You don't need to own either to play Warzone. You can DL and play WZ for free without the other two games. IIRC, you still get the terribad dashboard, even for one game version, lol.

Apparently this will probably happen again in the NEXT Warzone version... which just means I'm never going to play Warzone. Because why would I invest all that time only to lose everything when they switch to the next version?
Can't say I find this to be a problem. :chair:

At least in FPS, I dont recall my cosmetic skins (or anything else) carrying over to the next version of the game(?).

The only thing you get are weapon unlocks (and attachments)..... which I don't recall carrying over to the next version of the game in any genre. In this case, there are different weapons, I also believe the act of shooting (think recoil/spray patterns) are slightly different. It's fully expected in a brand new version of this (and most) games to start over. I dont expect anything I have in PUBG to be in PUBG 2, for example.

Are RPGs or w/e you play like this? Did your cosmetics and skills from BG2 carry over to BG3 (for example). I don't know how it works.

Also, I'm not a cosmetics guy. I dont buy skins for the most part, so there's that. But this feels 100% normal to me for the game type. :shrug:

I can see why some are sour, but, you, as a self-described "MOST" (with caps for added hyperbole, lol) casual player, why would you invest in skins anyway?

It was much, much easier in... say... Killzone (PS4) where you only had 4... rather basic classes. And you could just die over and over as a sniper until you absolutely mastered it.
The Finals... CS, Apex, etc... all canned classes like that. COD is a different progression-type compared to those (more similar to BF). That said, you can still 'die over and over as a [name weapon here] until you master it'. That's how the unlocks work, really... points/XP for kills gives you better attachments and scopes, etc. So you grind your guns to open all attachments.

Last edited:
Can't say I find this to be a problem. :chair:

At least in FPS, I dont recall my cosmetic skins (or anything else) carrying over to the next version of the game(?).

Well... I guess the confusion is in the way he explained it: Are they counting Warzone 2.0 as a completely different GAME? (Like COD2, COD3, COD4... etc)... or just version 2.0 of the SAME game?

If it's the former... then sometimes (though rarely) skins and weapons might carry over. If it's the latter... then EVERY GAME would carry your things over usually. You don't just lose everything because they upgraded a version number. I didn't lose all my stuff from Cyberpunk switched to version 2.0... for example.

Again... the way he explained it... it sounded like it was just version 2.0 of the. same game.

The Finals... CS, Apex, etc... all canned classes like that. COD is a different progression-type compared to those (more similar to BF). That said, you can still 'die over and over as a [name weapon here] until you master it'. That's how the unlocks work, really... points/XP for kills gives you better attachments and scopes, etc. So you grind your guns to open all attachments.

I think I'm up to 4-5 kills now! (Regular, non-Warzone multiplayer). And that's a cross-game of me playing on Xbox against mostly people on PC. So I'm pretty happy with that considering it's only my 2nd match playing.

Like any other game... you eventually get used to the maps and get a feel for how to navigate them. (And of course it helps to run into a bunch of idiots who are even worse at the game than you! :D )

Don't think I ever broke more than 10 kills in CODWWII... but I might be able to do it in this game. (Plus it's a nice little upgrade... WWII was getting a little long in the tooth!)

Sigh... Gotta love French supermarkets...

Well... I guess the confusion is in the way he explained it: Are they counting Warzone 2.0 as a completely different GAME? (Like COD2, COD3, COD4... etc)... or just version 2.0 of the SAME game?
Honestly, I don't know. But your article said this.."Buying a Call of Duty game with wildly different gameplay". That's clear enough to me it's a different game entirely...

I thought it was the MW III Warzone (different from MW II WZ). But I could be wrong. Like I said, I haven't touched the new one, but do think new guns and slightly different recoil/bloom/different mechanics was implemented(?). Still, they held it over already with Caldera, and you only lose it in the BR version. Doesn't bother me at all, not buying things in that game in the first place. Odd it bothers a casual player who, in theory, wouldn't be buying cosmetics in the fist place. Iunno, lol.

I think I'm up to 4-5 kills now! (Regular, non-Warzone multiplayer). And that's a cross-game of me playing on Xbox against mostly people on PC.
Enjoy the aim assist!

EDIT: WZ III was released (12/6/2023 - what I have not played yet) and is the latest BR version, note. So, 2.0 and 3 are out. One of these are different enough for them to stop supporting cosmetics from a 3 'generation' old version. Does that make more sense

Last edited:
No nothing changed from from 2 to 3. COD has always been the same game with a different wrapper and all the MW version are no different. Every time they release a new version the reviews and articles say it is "totally different" or improved yet the same bugs and same issues exist. Even with all this I always somehow convince myself to buy the new version so I own or owned every one from WaW to now with the exception of the newest MW3. The community just became too toxic and I just got tired of dealing with the same bugs. Every time they patch it they nerf one gun because its too powerful while they buff another so everyone switches and I don't play enough to master endless guns every time.

The stuff disappearing isn't new. Each new version has new skins with older ones not carrying over for the most part. MW2/3 did add the ability to carry over some skins purchased right before MW3 release like the Ash skin for example. Then some skins only work in some modes so you can't even use it in the whole game.

Doesn't bother me at all, not buying things in that game in the first place. Odd it bothers a casual player who, in theory, wouldn't be buying cosmetics in the fist place. Iunno, lol.

You're confusing me with the other guy... I clearly DON'T care. :D

Obviously, like I said, I'm never even playing Warzone again and I only played it once.

I was just confused over how the whole thing worked and asking for clarification.

It was the OTHER guy (I could... you know... scroll UP or something and look... but I'm off the clock) who was upset that he lost all of his stuff. I was just empathizing. (You know... The Human thing... :p )

The stuff disappearing isn't new. Each new version has new skins with older ones not carrying over for the most part. MW2/3 did add the ability to carry over some skins purchased right before MW3 release like the Ash skin for example. Then some skins only work in some modes so you can't even use it in the whole game.

YUP! Nothing confusing about that at all... hahahahaha :D

I was probably THE most casual COD WWII player in history. (Only wish I was playing the PS4 version with Sarah Silverman instead of that guy who is her now-boyfriend... sigh...) I think MWII will be the same way.

Quickplay multiplayer again. (Hopefully I won't ever find myself in "free-for-all" again... That was just STUPID.)

Man I have sooo many hours on COD MW1-2-&-3. Never played the multiplayer, just single player. I even played (and still have) COD WW2 which is a blast.

Not too long ago I restarted playing COD Advanced Warfare.

You're confusing me with the other guy... I clearly DON'T care. :D

Obviously, like I said, I'm never even playing Warzone again and I only played it once.
Sorry, I must've misread your post from earlier. It sounded (looked?) like you weren't playing BECAUSE of that reason. :)

Sorry, I must've misread your post from earlier. It sounded (looked?) like you weren't playing BECAUSE of that reason. :)

Yeah sometimes (often) reality warps in such a way that what I typed doesn't necessarily correlate to what I said. :)

But what I MEANT was that it's just one MORE reason for me to not play Warzone. Not that I was gonna play it anyway after the bad first impression I got of it.

I also need to figure out a way to block "free-for-all" from the quickplay rotation. (Because that just SUCKED... though it is a nice way to rank up...)

If it takes me TEN MONTHS to get to the next rank... then I'd prefer to be able to say I earned it.

Back