• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World of Warcraft question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shill82

I need to format my brothers computer. However he has been playing world of warcraft for sometime now and has advanced quite far. What if anything do I need to backup of World of Warcraft so that he doesn't lose anything when I do format.

Thanks
Shawn

Nothing, all his character information including most of most of his customization options such as how many bars to have are all saved online. However his Addons if he has any will be deleted.

Save the WTF,Interface and WDB folders. Once you reinstall WOW copy these folders back and overwrite the new ones. THis will leave his Interface and all his gui settings intact.

You might want to save the addons too. I can't remember where they're stored, it's a while since I played.

Anjow said:
You might want to save the addons too. I can't remember where they're stored, it's a while since I played.

The Add-Ons are stored in the Interface folder.

if your going to reformat I would not copy the WTF and WDB folders, only the interface\addons those other two fodlers hold game settings (things you configure in the menu) so by recopying them over after the install you might set things improperly so I'd recommend just doing that over. downside is you lose your key bindings but not a lot of people really use those from what I hear.

pik4chu said:
if your going to reformat I would not copy the WTF and WDB folders, only the interface\addons those other two fodlers hold game settings (things you configure in the menu) so by recopying them over after the install you might set things improperly so I'd recommend just doing that over. downside is you lose your key bindings but not a lot of people really use those from what I hear.
Not a lot of people are actually good at the game either...

Prodigious said:

Not a lot? At least 80% of the players you will encounter in the game, regardless of gear, are terrible at their class, and terrible at the game.

And 80% is a little soft if you ask me, I think its more like 85%.

/rant

Actually I just reformated myself and the toolbar setup remains the same no matter if you copy the files or not. So unless you are using a different key bindings (like 3rd party) you still will have your 6 bars of key bindings. Stuff like chat options will revert back to normal but the GUI remains the same.

Last edited:
tenchi86 said:
Actually I just reformated myself and the toolbar setup remains the same no matter if you copy the files or not. So unless you are using a different key bindings (like 3rd party) you still will have your 9 bars of key bindings. Stuff like chat options will revert back to normal but the GUI remains the same.

well I think they mean things like saving your mods like CTraid, damage meters, ect.

Course every patch you have to update them anyway heh

Prodigious said:
don't post if you have nothing constructive to add to the thread.

as for CTRaid, all that stuff is in the addons folder under Interface. And even then you might as well just redownload things, its good to keep them up to date and a reinstall is a perfect chance to do that. After all, what good is a reinstall if you just pile back on all the old crap? ;)

Interface, WTF, WDB folders are all that really need to be copied over.

I would suggest getting back all the add-ons in their most current up to date versions instead of copying the folders over.

SAVE THE PATCHES IF YOU CAN.

Blizzard is notorious for using a broken version of BT that makes dialup look fast in comparison.

It will take forever to pull those patches down unless you save them or use an alternate site.

Personally I would suggest forgetting to reinstall WoW and getting rid of that game but that is just me.

/plyed from beta up until about 3-4 months ago and don't miss it at all.

Adragontattoo said:
Interface, WTF, WDB folders are all that really need to be copied over.

I would suggest getting back all the add-ons in their most current up to date versions instead of copying the folders over.

SAVE THE PATCHES IF YOU CAN.

Blizzard is notorious for using a broken version of BT that makes dialup look fast in comparison.

It will take forever to pull those patches down unless you save them or use an alternate site.

Personally I would suggest forgetting to reinstall WoW and getting rid of that game but that is just me.

/plyed from beta up until about 3-4 months ago and don't miss it at all.
the last big patch took only 20 minutes to download and install. thier busted, half-***ed BT hack job is slowly getting better. But its still absurd, we are practically paying blizzard and can't even download the patch straight from them.

Adragontattoo said:
yeah I know, my roomie plays WoW still and I watch when he is playing sometimes.

It is getting better but nowhere near the quality that it should be.

/stops before going on a tangent about quality of the largest MMO currently
I was refering to the system for delivering game updates, not the game itself.

I know but there is no reason that they had to try to use their own propiatery(sp?) version of BT to begin with.

They should have just installed a BT client (or asked if you wanted one installed) and released them. Multiple large companies are starting to use BT as a legal form of patch/music/movies/software/etc dispersal because it cuts down on the amount of hardware needed to release patches and software.

Back