• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

internet shareing probs AGAIN (still)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
hey guys
bk from work and i had an idea mabey ive been doing this backwards

so i uninstalled aol (yuck) and set the compter to 192.168.0.2 and teh gateway to 192.168.0.1

then i went to the other computer and installed earthlink and enable internet shareing on the dial up addapter thing

now here are my questions

what configurations do i have to do to the earthlink computer

do i need to set the ip address on the adapter or on the nic

on the computer im trying to share to

do i need to set the dns to look for 192.168.0.1

and in internet explorer do i need to set any proxy settings or anything like that.

thanks for you help guys

hey, im assuming youve been at this awhile with other ppl helping.

so rob, its rob here.
update me on what you been doin here.

what you been using to share it with, or should i say trying to?

yea ive been at this for a while i hope on not annoying anyone but some of the threads get bogged down with replys and its good to start fresh

i have 2 comptuers well call them 1 and 2

1 has a modem and a nic

2 has just a nic

trying to use the ics funtion in win 2k pro ( both 1,2 have 2k)

and be able to surf the net on both and have computer 2 start folding for the oc team

im not useing any 3rd party software as of yet but im consedring it soon

aol is running on 1 till recently when i axed it and moved the modem over to computer 2 and installed earth link.

hope that doesnt confuse anyone

again i wanted to thank every one for helping me out

Ok lets assume computer 1 has the internet connection and computer 2 is the other one.

Here are the settings for number 2

IP: 192.168.0.2
SubNet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Ok now the setting for the network adaptor on nubmer 1
IP: 192.168.0.1
SubNet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (nothing)
DNS: Set this to what ever your isp tells you to

Now make sure that under the share tab in the properties for your internet connection make sure that the share internet connection is check. That should do it. Although I don't think it will autodial for you.

You don't even have to touch the settings for ICS if you don't want too.

1st make sure all pc's are running and connected via cat 5. Then right click on My network Places, then right click on the connection that represents your Earthlink connection. There is a Sharing tab there and under that tab you will find a check box that says enable ICS on this connection. Check that box and then ok. Your PC will think for about 10 seconds and then it will finnish. This will configure the other nic automatically and you wont have to type any addresses. Next you just set your other PC to Obtain automatically and it will pull it from your DHCP that windows set up on your 1st PC.

Tada, your done and you don't have to worry about setting static IP's. Just plug in a computer and boot it up and surf til your hearts content. In fact this makes a great set up cause your friends can come over with their pc's and just boot up. No need to configure nics.

I did this with my wireless network and it works great for friends. I use a cable modem, so I am not sure but I think as long as you set the connection doc in IE on your 1st (main) pc to autodial whenever connection is needed it will for your other pc's also.

Back