• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Btx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirius

Does anyone know anything about this new setup I am hearing about BTX? And when might we start to see some of the new layouts.

If you get a chance, check out the current (Jan 04) issue of CPU Mag. Not to plug my own workplace or anything... =P

There's a pretty good write up on the BTX form factor. It looks like it'll be a lot more efficient @ cooling and such. The CPU, RAM, Northbridge will all be located @ the bottom area of the board. The ide/sata busses, PCIX/AGP, and PCI will all be located @ the top. ATX cases will NOT be compatible w/ BTX mobo's. Although, an ATX PSU will work on a BTX mobo.

From the schematics I've seen, the cooling solutions for BTX look much more effective. It almost looks like the CPU's hsf will have a fan that's mounted on the side of the hsf, as opposed to the top, drawing air in from the front intake fan of your case. The fact that the CPU and all the other components that make the most heat are at the bottom of the case looks good too. These comonents will get the bulk of the fresh cool outside air coming in from the bottom of the case...

That's all the info I can think of atm. Check out the CPU write up though. It's a worthwhile read if you're really interested...

i was under the assumption that an atx psu would be more than useless for a btx board...i thought it had more pins or something...

The only thing I don't like about BTX. To cut down on the idiot factor, the motherboard is mounted on the other side of the case. It's a mirror image of ATX. So upgrading to BTX, in addition to a new power supply, you're gonna need a new case also.

YellowDart,

You work at CPU magazine?

UberBlue said:
YellowDart,

You work at CPU magazine?

Not specifically for CPU, I do some of their web design, but I work for their owner/publisher: Sandhills Publishing... They also own Smart Computing, PC Today, and CE Tips.

Ravsitar said:
Yellow Dart... That's a cool nickname +5 points

Thanks bro! Don't noone never say that Strongbad never did nothin for the peoples... I'm living proof, my cool nickname earns me +5 pts! :D

I don't think it's mirror image UberBlue. It still mounts the same way, but the card devices go on top. So think of it as upside down... in a way. =P

Back