• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upper Vcore limits for 3.0 Northwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vcore is just the risk you are willing to take, and how much overclock gain it provides you. The values people have said are worth listening to, 1.50 is ok on a pressy, as long as the mobo is sinked up. About the risk My 2.8C has been running 1.69 since i got it late last year, still running good, same with my 2.4B and C. Use what vcore you want, just don't go crazy with it. :)

I run 1,7v for my 2,8c 24/7, should I lower vcore? My cooling is: Danger Den TDX, BIX2, 2x120MM fans, eheim compact600.

LenniZ said:
I run 1,7v for my 2,8c 24/7, should I lower vcore? My cooling is: Danger Den TDX, BIX2, 2x120MM fans, eheim compact600.

CPU voltage tolerance has nothing to do with the cooling you have (theoretically), but the highier the voltage, the better the cooling needed to stop the CPU from burning.
I like to think of it this way, our skin can handle about 50vac (you might feel a tingle but not much) just like a northwood can handle 1.55v. if we were to be exposed to 110vac we wouuld notice it and be very uncomfortable, just like 1.65v on a northwood. 230vac is horible to a person and 400vac is abit of a killer, just like 1.75v and 1.8v on a northwood. Do you really think that you will get electricuted less just coz your in a freezer? (there is one flaw to all this, current kills us while voltage kills a CPU but i'm not gona get into that :) )
i relate these feelings to my overclocking, which is probably why i'm only at 4.2Ghz.
if it works at a lower voltage then run it at a lower voltage, if your having no troubles at a highier voltage and have a good PSU and mobo, then run it at the highier voltage.
the newbie has spoken :-/

Back