• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life Expectancy Just As Good On A Small OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DasFox said:
Ok I have had it on clear cmos, battery out, power cables unplugged off the motherboard and out the PSU, for 20 hours now. Should I do anything special when I start it up now, like push the power button a few times, then press the insert key while pressing the power button, OR should I just press the power button on like NORMAL and not worrying about taking other measures?

THANKS

Just push the power key while doing the rain dance :)

Oh BOY!

Well after 2 days I couldn't get the MSI to post. The thing is I had a Abit NF7-S2 sitting in a box I ordered thinking it was DOA, but I left it on clear cmos and the battery out for 24 hours and I got that one to post. LOL

Oh well least I have a board running now, DAMM nforce2 boards seem tough sometimes to get posting.

Guess I'll send the MSI back, personally I'd rather run a Abit any day.

One other question if I installed XP on the MSI which is a nforce2 mobo and the Abit is also a nforce2 mobo, would I really need to install XP over again?

Or with some of the differences in onboard LAN, etc., just remove them from the Device Manager is all and it will be just fine?

THANKS

Well, you have had quite the ordeal. No, NF2 boardsare not usually so difficult. Reinstalling Windows is standard operating procedure on any new mobo, however I have never tried to switch between two boards using the same chipset. Good luck with it.

rseven said:
Well, you have had quite the ordeal. No, NF2 boardsare not usually so difficult. Reinstalling Windows is standard operating procedure on any new mobo, however I have never tried to switch between two boards using the same chipset. Good luck with it.

OH BOY have I ever, LOL. Well after going through this for 2 days on the MSI, it made me realise, put the Abit on clear cmos for 24 hrs. and take out the battery. Well when I got up I put the abit in the case to have a go at it and when I started it I made sure to only run one stick of memory and I held down the insert key and DAMM it posted. CRAP I wish I would of known I needed to let the thing sit for a long period of time.

Well these boards are the same chips and I didn't reinstall windows and it runs like a dream, the only difference was the MSI uses a onboard Nvidia Lan and the Abit uses some company I've never heard called IC Plus.

Not one thing with a Yellow Question mark next to it in the Device Manager, so remember that one next time, same chip mobos, no need to reinstall. :)

P.S. This bios only has options to change the FSB, not the multipliers like the MSI did, so I can't get it to 400MHz because the multi is on 13x, so I don't think it's worth it to mess with it, but you know what I think I'll just get me a 3200+ and forget this OC stuff, LOL

DasFox said:
OH BOY have I ever, LOL. Well after going through this for 2 days on the MSI, it made me realise, put the Abit on clear cmos for 24 hrs. and take out the battery. Well when I got up I put the abit in the case to have a go at it and when I started it I made sure to only run one stick of memory and I held down the insert key and DAMM it posted. CRAP I wish I would of known I needed to let the thing sit for a long period of time.

Well these boards are the same chips and I didn't reinstall windows and it runs like a dream, the only difference was the MSI uses a onboard Nvidia Lan and the Abit uses some company I've never heard called IC Plus.

Not one thing with a Yellow Question mark next to it in the Device Manager, so remember that one next time, same chip mobos, no need to reinstall. :)

P.S. This bios only has options to change the FSB, not the multipliers like the MSI did, so I can't get it to 400MHz because the multi is on 13x, so I don't think it's worth it to mess with it, but you know what I think I'll just get me a 3200+ and forget this OC stuff, LOL

I'm glad to see your up and running again. You're probably better off with the abit anyway.

If you decide you still want to overclock get an athlon xp mobile. It has an 512k cache and you can pick any multiplier you want within reason. :beer:

Back