• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life Expectancy Just As Good On A Small OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I'll keep trying, I booted up my old board so I know now it isn't the CPU

i really see people are concerned about the lifespan, usually we upgrade every 18 months or so, who cares about lifespan as long as its not running hot you should be fine. I mean really whoever uses the same computer for over 18 month doesn't need overclock as he/she probably falls into the AOL user.

rseven said:
Yes, extra voltage even without extra heat will shorten the life of a CPU. How much? No one can really tell you for certain as every chip is different. I wouldn't get overly concerned about it. Generally the XP's are a pretty tough lot and can handle a fair amount of abuse. If you keep your overvolting and temps modest you should be fine.
That is correct.

Lifespan is dependent on many factors--cooling, voltage, frequency, amount of use, even minor imperfections in the individual CPUs. AthlonXPs are indeed tough. Improper cooling will definitely downgrade your lifespan, but, realistically, you will probably want to get rid of the CPU because it's obsolete by the time it reaches lifespan.

Hitechjb1 did a LOT of work from an EE viewpoint on this stuff, I can't find the link at the moment.

been trying to clear it for the past hour still not going.

Steps taken:

Unpluged PSU, taken power cables off board
Cleared Cmos on for a few mins, then moving it back and forth like 20-30 times
taken out battery as well, also tried starting without battery.

So maybe leave it in clear for a few hours and the battery out, and all plugs out?

Any thoughts?

YEAH WHAT A PAIN. :(

You know if I set this at 9.5x/200 and it can't boot with that, which is below a 3200, then I can't see that this thing is going to handle 11x

Oh the bios too didn't allow single digits increments to change it either, all it allowed for the FSB was:

Those where the only settings I had to work with. To me that seems goofy, UNLESS it would give other options if I made other changes to the cpu. I just dont see how someone can OC with only those FSB options.

errr :(

HEY I'm reading that nforce2 have problems for many people that when you change the bios, as in a OC, it dies on them gets corrupted, if so any fix for this?

The only thing I read that said works is having a jumper to set the CPU back to 100MHz

I wonder now if this has happend to me and it died.

Last edited:
1. Yes, try leaving the jumper on clear for a while.
2. There has to be some setting that allows for 1MHz increments for overclocking. Something that is set in auto that perhaps needs to be changed to manual.
3. I don't know if there is any on-board jumper on that mobo. Do you have your manual to check? If not there should be one available in pdf at the msi website. If I get a chance, (I'm doing 5 things at once) I'll check it.

Nope the MSI K7N2 Delta2-FSR doesn't have any cpu jumpers. It's been on clear almost a hour, I get the feeling this thing isn't going to post.

Is there any tricks to getting it to go if it won't clear?

THANKS

Well at first I had no keyboard ligts coming on, then after almost 1hr 30mins then trying again, the lock lights flash for a few secs then go out.

I've never seen anything like this, so is this like some SLOW discharge happening and possibly over time it will kick back in?

I read this and also tried it, but NO luck.

As some of you will be aware there is no safe mode jumper J10 on the K7N2 Delta2 series of boards. This has been replaced by the "insert" key method as used by Abit and Epox. To start your board at its default settings following an unsuccessful overclocking attempt you need to do the following using a ps2 keyboard. Turn off your machine and disconnect from the mains or turn off the switch on the back of the power supply. Press the front panel power switch several times to discharge any charge remaining in the power supply capacitors. Reconnect the power by plugging into wall socket or turning on psu power switch. Press and hold down "insert" on the keyboard and press the case front panel power switch. If you are successful it should start the cpu and memory at 100Mhz FSB. If it does press "delete" to reenter the bios to change your settings to known safe settings. Good luck.

Well I'm reading on the MSI forum and on Google there are others that seem to be having this problem as though nforce2 chips seem to corrupt.

Ok clear till tomorrow.

THANKS

Ok I have had it on clear cmos, battery out, power cables unplugged off the motherboard and out the PSU, for 20 hours now. Should I do anything special when I start it up now, like push the power button a few times, then press the insert key while pressing the power button, OR should I just press the power button on like NORMAL and not worrying about taking other measures?

THANKS

ChonChon said:
u could do it 3 or 4 times, but dont murder it.

Done that already. Here is a post I have on this over at MSI:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=89914.0

Since they might be the best place for all of this, if anyone wants to follow this post, as I try in MAD to get this thing going again and if anyone here might have anything else to add to this that has had the same problems as well and had success.

THANKS

Yes 2x512MB, but everything worked just fine, until I set the bios on, 9.5x/200. Unless what you are suggesting is, in order to help this, remove one stick, or take them out of dual channel mode and place them side by side?

THANKS

Ok SPECS in my signature now :)

Yes just use one stick till you can get it to post correctly. Also I dont know if the board may have a issue but I do know that some stuff dont like 1/2 muilt's.

Back